Thursday, May 19, 2011

The World in My Wardrobe - Turkish Crochet Vest



In 1995 me and my husband went to Turkey on vacation in the lovely resort of Kuşadası. We have many beautiful memories of the time and it was one exceptional adventure we will always remember.
For me - as a crafster- the Turkish bazaars were a paradise. I brought back a heap of supplies and gorgeous fabric. I also bought this vest. Turkish women are known for their remarkable crochet work and I knew I had to buy something handmade. The vest is crocheted in thick cotton yarn in champagne.
Its netted design has an intricate, repeating pattern on the front and the back. It closes with crocheted balls.



I wore it a lot in the past. I remember having a long black cotton dress over which I wore this vest and I loved the contrast they made. I also wore it paired with a tee and jeans. A perfect combination. Sadly, it doesn't fit me any more so now it belongs to Eva. And since it looks as intact as the day it was bought I am sure it will see many long years of wear.



(Front panel detail)

If you missed the first part of the series you can read it here.

9 comments:

Maya Kuzman said...

Tina if you are reading this post again, check your mailbox.

Unknown said...

I went to Istanbul som years ago to, and I loved it. I think it's a marvelous city, and I ejoyed the bazaars a lot. Actually, I brought lots of things back to my home. This crochet is just great. XO.

Balbina said...

Extra, beauty model
greetings from Polish

Ophelia.K said...

Awww it's such a beautiful memory and I love wearing same thing over generation. The lady made this crochet vest must be really proud of. That's why we all love "handmade"!!

Unknown said...

Awesome vest! I think these will never get out of fashion, you'll always be able to combine it one way or the other!

Sandy Ang said...

what a lovely vest ! you are just too talented

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Maya - Love this post and again, please keep your closet open. I am reliving many adventures. When I was pregnant with my second we had a chance to visit Maramis Turkey, absolutely wonderful. Love the Turkish markets. We have a Turkish restaurant around the corner and love to stop in.

Papgena Made It said...

very beautiful vest! And looks wonderful on Eva!!!

Anonymous said...

THX for sharing