Friday, September 9, 2011

Woodcarving

At the beginning of the summer I briefly visited a woodcarving school. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed it! The inner beauty of the wood emerging by the hit of the chisel is breathtaking.
I've never tried woodcarving (I've carved only a few rubber stamps) but from what I've seen it requires excellent skills. I guess everything comes with practice.

The great thing was that almost all the students were teenagers with the exception of two ladies. I love seeing young people taking interest in crafts, especially in this delicate kind.

Here are some pictures I took there:






These will be gorgeous when finished!

Some I found on the web:


Isn't this hilarious?

These are made by the Russian sculptor Yuri Firsanov. Click here for more of his masterpieces. You won't be disappointed!

Here are some more. Enjoy and have a splendid weekend!

5 comments:

magdamagda fashion said...

What an incredible art! Thanks for the selections of Yuri Firsanov, hats off with a smile!

Unknown said...

Yes it is great to see young people interested in the arts. Lovely photos of the works in progress and sketches!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I am always amazed by this skill. Thank you for introducing me to Firsanov's work. I had a chance to visit Russia when I was in law school so I have a special interest in Russia!

Unknown said...

I'm very familiar with woodcarving since my family partly lives in Indonesia. Many a fine artist resides there and creates the best and most intricate pieces of art. Love your pictures, the last one is hilarious!! Have a great Sunday!!

Cucicucicoo said...

woodcarving looks so difficult to me, i find it amazing that people are able to do it. that's interesting about teenagers being interested in it. it just doesn't seem like something that age group is normally interested in. that's great! :) lisa