Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Living the crochet life


Lovely Kathreen of Whip Up let me talk my heart out about my crochet lifestyle for which I am ever so grateful!

Currently, I am having an exciting, inspiring and rewarding crochet lifestyle and I love every single minute of it! So when lovely Kathreen invited me to guest a post I knew right away it is going to be crochet as the main topic.

I grew up in a family where traditions were deeply rooted and respected and handwork was highly appreciated and praised. Both my grandmothers were proficient in what I like to call handmade art – one was a professional seamstress, the other masterful crocheter and knitter. I readily accepted the love they shared for sewing and crocheting and started paving the way of my handmade life.

Having been surrounded by wonderful crochet creations that leapt into life through the magical hands of my grandmother I became deeply entranced by the world that could be created with the simple ‘twist and turn’ dance of the yarn with the hook. And I was truly hooked. To be honest I find it quite rewarding. Thus for example, when I get tired of (the plainness) my clothes I settle this by adding a crochet detail and a trim and voila! My garments shine with a new sparkle.

Then I plunge into creating amazing, eye-catching accessories. The palette can be immensely varied: headbands and lariats, scarves and chokers, necklaces and rings; or if I happen to come across old bangles I give them a face-lift immediately. These make my style unique, distinctive and sometimes whimsical.

For me crocheting is not simply a hobby or a recreational activity. It is the tool for preserving tradition, making my own clothes and accessories, embellishing my home. It also contributes to my pledge to live an environmentally conscious life. The yarn I use is mostly organic and when something loses its attractiveness or I just get bored with it I can unstitch it and re-use the yarn to make another lovely thing. In a word – it makes my world richer and more meaningful.

Here are some tickles for you:

If you want to make a necklace yourself with some crocheted beads – I have a tute for that here

How about a sweet home project? Here is a free pattern for a blanket you would certainly love to make!

Or a rug maybe? You can surprise your kids with wonderful crochet toys. You can make a pony, a dragon or an octopus.

For more inspiration boards, visit Whip Up.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That's one of the things I like so much about you Maya, you always see possibilities to change things into something really personal. Love your new necklaces, they are so elegant! I think I will have to stick to paper, I'm just not adept at crochet :-) Hugs, Ira

CrochetBlogger said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. It shows your true passion for crochet!!

trudi@maudeandme said...

Came across from whipup. Love all your creations.

Vanessa said...

Hi, Maya

I truly enjoyed this post. I love how your adore crocheting and creating something lovely. I always love stopping by.

I have a link party today and would love for your to stop by. Thank you.

Have a great week.
Vanessa

Claire Mercado-Obias said...

The necklaces are super pretty!

Anonymous said...

Very cute. I wish I had the patience for this, well, and the time, lol.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Wonderful post and so well put. I love that you are so passionate, living a full life which permits creative pursuits and preserving tradition is so, so important.

Redfly Classroom said...

Very pretty....love it. Uma pergunta.....voce e brasileira?

Check out my blog sometime too.

Melissa
http://redflycreations.blospot.com

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I am so glad that you live a crochet life inspired by those who came before you and that you share a bit of your handmade life with us. Hope you are all better by now. Best wishes, Tammy

CrochetBlogger said...

Just a note to let you know I quoted this post on my blog today. :)