Thursday, June 19, 2014

Turn a doily into a bag

 

This doily came with all the other stuff I inherited from hub's grandmother. I have no idea what she planned to do with this one - probably a tablecloth although the design is such that there is a lot of space in the middle that would fit over a ball.


 
I made a couple of dcs just to give it a finish.

  
Deep in work I completely forgot to take pictures of what I further made. 

I lined the doily with taffeta and to make it sturdier I added a cotton piece over it. Did the same for the back except the doily, because it was just one.


 I folded the upper part ...
 

 ... and then crocheted handle holders for these wooden handles I had at home. I think round wooden handles would be much more appropriate for this bag but I'll just have to leave that for another time. 


Here it is from behind. Such a lovely bag for the summer. I am sure I will use it a lot.

9 comments:

Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said...

Omigosh ingenious!!! I used to rock these back in middle school when I scoured thrift stores for them...nice to see they're back in style! Such a chic and easy DIY, great job!

xo-Julie
Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

Ana Love Craft said...

Wow!! This is a brilliant idea! I love your summer bag! It make me think how many bags I could make with the dozens of doilies I have :)Hope you have a wonderful day!
Hugs from Portugal,
Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com



Linda said...

Maya this is such a great idea, your new bag is so original and oh so very chic. I love it :-)

Annabellouise said...

I love this. What a perfect little summer evening bag. I have a drawer full of doilies, etc. Must try it.

Anna said...

Beautiful !!!
Anna

Unknown said...

The perfect sweet little summer bag Maya, I was thinking that a similar French baret would make a perfect set!
Ira’s Crea Corner

CrochetBlogger said...

I really love this creative use of the doily. Great work!

Anonymous said...

love it Maya! thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

vikawish said...

Вот это идея! Шикарная задумка! Спасибо за участие в проекте Рукодельное кафе!