Friday, February 24, 2017

Brass & Leather Earrings Tutorial






Join us for a fantastic tutorial prepared by Nadica from Art Fantasy Jewelry guiding us how to make a pair of lovely brass and leather earrings.

My working process usually starts with an idea and a sketch. In most of the cases the drawn sketch is completed as drawn. But sometimes through the working process it tends to change and the final piece of jewelry is something completely different than the starting sketch. Today I will share my work process for brass and leather earrings.
First when I decide the dimension of the earrings I prepare a brass plate. The brass that I work with is very thin and easy to cut and fold. I start by cutting a small plate enough to fit the two earrings (this is due to the etching process in order to have the same texture on both of them).
 



Using a permanent marker I draw on the brass. The parts that are not covered with the marker will be etched.




I cover the back of the brass piece with the permanent marker so it wouldn’t be etched.




After the desired design is achieved, I place the brass plate in salt water and make the etching. I leave the plate in the salt solution for about 20 minutes. For these earrings I don’t want a deep texture, only enough for the pattern to be nice and visible.


 
 
After the process of etching is done, I clean the plate from the permanent marker and place it on heat. I do it on a small electric stove because I have more control of the process (which is difficult with more aggressive fire like the torch).The heat makes it turn dark on the edges of the texture and sometimes it changes color.
 
 
 
 
When the texture is complete and finished, I draw and cut the desired shape on the brass plate. If it is more simple shape I use the metal cutting scissors, and for the more complicated shapes I use a jewelry saw.
 
 
 
 
After the cutting I sand the edges to make sure they are soft. When the brass pieces are done, I start handling the leather. My choice for these earrings is a dark grey leather. I will use the back side because it has a fine messy texture, which I love. I cut two pieces the same size as the brass circles.
 
 
 
Place the leather parts behind the brass. From the three brass extensions that I left I use three of them to firmly press the leather. With round nose pliers I twist the fourth one to which the ring will be connected. Add a jump ring and attach earring hooks.
 
 

 
 
And there they are, the messy leather and textured brass earrings. Hope you find them inspirational. They surely were for me !
 
Nadica has some incredible jewelry added to her shop recently, so you might want to check those beauties out, and if you want to learn more about her and what inspires her too, read the interview here.
 
 

7 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That is such a neat process. Thank you for showing for us. xoxo Su

Maya Kuzman said...

I am glad you like them Su! You should see the rest of her jewelry- pretty amazing.

Katrin@northernfeeling.com said...

These earrings are absolutely beautiful, wow!

Divya N said...

The earrings look great. May I know what was the salt that was used and how long were the pieces left in the solution?

Unknown said...

I use white table salt for the solution.The pieces were about 25 - 30 minutes in the salt solution.Thanks!

Kim said...

What a fascinating process and so do-able! Thank you for the tutorial. Gorgeous earrings.

Kreativna radionica Monika said...

The earrings are gorgeous. I am very impresed how they look after process. Thank you for sharring. :*