Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A Wooden Spoon Doll - creative idea

 

 
 
For her Art class, Eva had to make a doll out of a wooden spool and she asked me if I would help her make one. Well, needless to say the child in me started jumping up and down out of joy. To be honest, this is not the first one we made.
 
When both my children were in kindergarten and junior school, we made dolls out of spoons, but not elaborate and beautiful as this one.
 
 
 
First we constructed the body and filled it with polyfil. Inserted the spoon and sew it all around.
 
Next using a small saucer we cut out a round piece of cotton for the underskirt and added a dotted tulle skirt over it. The "shirt" is actually the bodice which I sew gathered so that we wouldn't have to make a special top. Since we are not experienced in making / sewing doll arms and hands (or legs for that matter) we used a pipe cleaner instead. (We know the arms are too low, be gentle with us!) We added a decorative ric rac sash and a bead necklace to top it all.
 
Oh, yes... we also made a tulle cape. We tried a sateen and a cotton cape but they fell down too heavily and covered the tulle skirt which we think is the best on the doll so we opted for a tulle cape.
 
Beads are used for the eyes and mouth. I crocheted the hair and we especially like the locks.
 
 
So what do you think? Do you like it?
We had so many fun ideas while making this one, it would be interesting to make some more and just give them away as gifts.

10 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, your wooden spool doll, Maya, is a concoction of loveliness and gossamer whimsy. How gorgeous she is. Yes, I think you have happened upon the most wonderful idea....more definitely need to fashioned out of yours and your daughter's fanciful imaginations.

Kim said...

ooops.....of course I meant to say "spoon" instead of spool. =)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Kim. Sometimes I do need a project outside of the planned (most often crochet) ones to get my creative juices flowing.

Cream Linen said...

Lovely idea and an easy project to do with children. Tina x

Divya N said...

I have never made a spoon doll before, it sounds like a fun art project

A Crafty Mix said...

Awwwwww Maya, she's adorable. So lady like and I love her face and hair

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, my head certainly wasn't thinking the morning I waxed lyrical over yours and your daughter's gorgeous spoon doll, Maya. What I meant to say was......."Oh, your wooden spoon doll, Maya, is a concoction of loveliness and gossamer whimsy. How gorgeous she is. Yes, I think you have happened upon the most wonderful idea....most definitely, more need to be fashioned out of yours and your daughter's fanciful imaginations." Obviously the cobwebs in my head needed to be swept away...that....or I needed another coffee. =D Have a lovely week, lovely Maya. Xx

handmade by amalia said...

I've seen wooden spoon dolls before but never one as nice as this.
Amalia
xo

Maya Kuzman said...

Dear Kim, your comments always bring great pleasure and satisfaction as well as encouragement to further pursue my creative self. Thank you dear lady!

Maya Kuzman said...

So sweet of you Amalia! Thank you!