Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Granny Square Motif - free pattern & chart

 
 

Good day!
We haven't had a crochet chart read out for quite a while, so I thought it is high time we have something new added to the How to Read Crochet Charts Series.
This is a granny square motif I found on pinterest and wanted to test my new variegated yarn to see how it goes with squares. It does have an interesting effect and while the rest of my family thought the square was  extraordinary I, being a granny square traditionalist felt a bit nah... so I will let it grow on me for a while, to see if I change my opinion. Understandably, I had to try it with solids and I like that light pink one much more.
 
Ok. So let's start. This is the chart.
 
 
 
And it reads this: (with my tiny variations simply because I have to add some and because some stitches do not make any sense {to me})
 
Ch12 and join to make ring.
 
Rnd 1: (in the ring) ch 3, dc2, ch1, dc2, ch3, sc1. Repeat this pattern 3 times more to finish the round. In the last set instead of finishing with a 3-chain, make 1dc.
 
Rnd 2: ch5, sc int 3-chain below, ch 3 skip 2 st and make 1 dc in the chain st between the dc sets below, ch 5 and dc1 in the same stitch, ch 3 and sc in the last 3-chain of the set. Repeat this pattern 3 times more to finish the round. In the last set instead of finishing with a 3-chain, make 1dc.
 
Rnd 3: ch5 and dc1 in the 5-chain below, chain 5 and make another dc in the same chain, ch 5, skip the 3-chain below and sc in the 5-chain. In that chain space, ch3, dc3, ch3, sc1, and repeat again the same pattern (ch3, dc3, ch3, sc1).
Repeat the pattern from the beginning 3 x. As before, in the last set instead of finishing with a 3-chain, make 1tr.
 
Rnd 4: ch 5, sc1 in the chain space below, ch 5 and sc in the 3-ch of the petal set, ch3, skip the dcs and sc in the end 3-ch. Ch7 (this chain goes between petal sets) and sc in the 3-ch of the second part of the petal set, ch3, skip the dcs and sc 1 in the very end 3-ch of the set. Repeat the pattern from the beginning of this round 3 times. 
 

If you join 4 of these, this is the look you are going to get. Lovely isn't it? The beauty of this pattern is that it is so easy and fast to make.
 
 
Happy hooking!
 

10 comments:

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

A lovely granny indeed! I especially like the one you made out of the brighter variegated yarn. Saw it on pinterest too and I liked the way it looks when joined.
Thank you for sharing, dear Maya.
Have a lovely day,
Marjan

Maya Kuzman said...

You are welcome Marjan! I loved playing with yarn and still have to try it with a couple more :)

Alhana said...

I am with you on this one and also prefer the solid traditional one. I love how they look when you join four of them together. Thank you for sharing! :-)

Maya Kuzman said...

I think these could turn into a beautiful tunic. Nice idea to dwell on.

Anonymous said...

I love the lacy look! I think they're great together ( like the blue ones ).
My mind immediately floats with ideas ( table cloth, summer scarf, curtains,...) Great!
Take care, Sigrid

Mary K. said...

Maya you know I know nothing about crocheting but I sure love to look at your pretty pictures. That blue one has captured my heart!

Maya Kuzman said...

I appreciate your visit Mary - thank you so much on the lovely comment!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

What a cute granny square!

Anabelia Craft Design said...

Hello, Maya! I've also seen this beautiful square motif in Pinterest and I love the lacy look when joined. I could easily imagine a summer scarf or a light tunic. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern. Have a wonderful weekend! xxx

Unknown said...

Really this is Awesome Designs. I See these design like Coasters set. Perfect article and good information regarding how I make this. thank you for the sharing this informative article