Monday, May 22, 2017

"Peekaboo" by Ana Jecmenica

 
 
 


Happy Monday all!
Let start the week with beautiful things I say. Something to dictate the course of the week. 
Today I have the pleasure to introduce Ana Jecmenica, a young and talented designer who makes exquisite, OOAK jewelry.
 
Please introduce yourself in a couple of words.
It took me a long time to admit to myself that I am an artist and that I should refer to myself as such, considering that I design jewelry and lamps, do photography, draw and paint. So yes, I am an artist. Since I am quite shy I let my work speak of myself.

 
 
 
Peekaboo implies a hiding game. How does it relate to your shop? Can you tell us the story behind your brand / shop name?

The name was born some 10 years ago, when Internet showed up, when I was in a search for a catchy nickname for various forums. It came quite spontaneously  from a make-up catalog and it stuck with me as a trait. I liked it because it made people smile and it made them remember their childhood. It was a logical step to name my brand the same, because I always imagine someone wearing my jewelry breaks into a smile and says "Peekaboo!" : )

 


With your eye-catching designs featuring bold and expressive backgrounds and extraordinary use of clockwork material you bring steampunk to another level. How long have you been in jewelry design and how did it all start?
 
Even as a child I loved taking things apart to see what they are made of. Because everything in itself - just like people - contains so much invisible beauty that wants to be shown and expressed. I have been working on Steampunk for ages and it  always fascinated me how something so small and tiny can grow into something so beautiful and detailed. I simply adore details. The minute I learned about epoxy resin I wanted to try my hand at it. Seeing other people's steampunk work, I noticed they more or less use the same colors for their jewelry so I wanted to differ. At first, it wasn't my intention to stand out. I just wanted to add a little color into that world and I think I am successful at that for the last 5 years : )


 
 
What part of the process is the most enjoyable? Is there a particular place where you like to work?
 
I get old clocks from the clockmakers and antique shops, so my job is to take them apart and I can honestly say that is the most interesting part because I never know what waits for me inside. There were cases when out of 200 -300 clocks I would find a single gear different from the others and I always keep those for special inspiration. I am a perfectionist at work, and I always try to keep the balance and make everything centered while designing, hoping my buyers will notice that I had invested lots of effort, love and time making a particular piece. I work on a work bench in my flat and have never really thought if I loved that or not, but because now I started working with wooden jewelry, I will have to look up for a workshop. The whole creative process is immensely long and strenuous. Dismantling clocks, cleaning parts, choosing backgrounds, matching and gluing the parts, to be topped with applying resin that has to be dried for 24 hours. There mustn't be a mistake because there is no turning back. I cannot fix a thing once it is done. All this takes a couple of days, but when I see the final result and the reaction of people, I am truly happy.
 
 

 

Lately you started working with wooden jewelry. What triggered the transition from steampunk?
I am in love with trees, because the designs and the beauty nature offers cannot be replaced. I have worked with steampunk for quite a long time and I do not feel the challenge any more; I also think I have achieved an enviable level in quality and design so I sought new challenges. I have been working with wooden jewelry for a couple of months now and I am still researching all the possibilities it offers. For the time being I find it entertaining to match shapes and colors and my next plans include matching wood with steampunk.
 


What other materials you like to work with or would like to try in the future?
I keep to wood and gears for now, but my plans include introducing leather into my designs. Let's see where wood takes me first : )

 


Where does inspiration come from?
When steampunk is in questions, I find inspiration in myself. I sit and watch the parts until I have a picture in my head how to join them. If I lack ideas, I try another day. I never force myself because it always reflects on the final result.
As for the wooden jewelry  - inspiration is everywhere because colors and geometry are everywhere around us. 
 


How do you fill your free time?
I never make a difference between free time and working at home : )
Since I  have a full time job, when I get home I use my free time to make jewelry or make photographs for the shutterstock.
However, there are the long walks, hanging out with people, trips, my friends, sketching... I try to be out in nature  as much as I can because it fills my batteries and it is a great source of inspiration for me : )
I hope you enjoyed meeting Ana. Visit her shop and Facebook page.

6 comments:

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Ooh! Such lovely pendants! They are so romantic as well as exceptional and unique. Real eye-catcher!
Thank you for sharing, dear Maya!
Have a lovely week,
Marjan

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

So much talent in this world. Thanks for sharing all these artists with us.

Maya Kuzman said...

@Marjan and @Tammy:
Thank you dear ladies for taking the time to visit and show your appreciation of my work and give support to young emerging designers and artist with your fantastic comments!

Unknown said...

What awesome pendants...love all the beautiful designs!!!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Michelle. Ana is truly talented.

A Crafty Mix said...

You always find the most amazingly talented artists Maya and Ana has earned the right to call her self and artist. Her jewelry is exquisite.