This is a project I have had on my mind for a long time and now I am glad I did it.
The buttons you see here are the most favourite in my vintage button collection - they are all very old with the exception of 2-3 of the small buttons. I have long wanted to use them in a project and I believe this brooch is a fantastic way to display them all in one place.
This also makes a frugal and easy, last minute gift to make so here's how I did it:
1. Collect buttons you want to use in this project. Put them on a piece of paper.
2. Draw a heart or any other shape you want the brooch / patch to be. I made a provisional design here - as you can see from the final version - I have changed the position of the buttons.
3. Cut the drawing, place it on fabric and cut it out. Since my buttons were heavy gathered together, I cut 4 pieces. I planned the pinks to be on the outside.
4. I sew the pieces with the faces inside, left a hole to turn the heart inside out and at the end sewed that hole up.
5. I cut out another heart shaped patch and glued it onto the top. I wanted a shabby look for my brooch so I left it fraying.
6-6a. I glued the buttons on top of that patch.
7. I glued a brooch pin at the back. That's it!
Hope you enjoyed your visit!