Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Crochet Flower Motif Doily - how to read crochet charts

 
 
While searching for an interesting crochet chart for our reading sessions I came upon this lovely motif that looked gorgeous made out of crochet thread and much more beautiful than my crochet motif made with sport yarn. So if you are willing to try it with a lace thread, you'd get an incredible motif for a scarf or a tablecloth if you are feeling adventurous :)
 
 
The chart
 
 
 
The pattern
With desired yarn and hook (see recommendation above):
 
Chain 6 and join to make a ring.
Rnd 1: In the ring Ch 5 (counts as 1 dc +2 chains), dc1, ch2. Repeat this pattern 6 times. There should be 8 posts (dcs) in the round.
 
Rnd 2: sc over the dc and sc3 in the chains all around (a total of 32 scs).
 
Rnd 3: ch 5 and dtr1 in the (same) first st. Dtr1 in the next st, ch 5 and sc in the next st. This is only half of the petal done - it will be complete in the end. Next, ch 5, dtr1 in next st., dtr2 in the next st, dtr1 in next st, ch 5 and sc in the next st. The second petal is done. Repeat pattern 6 more times. To end the round and finish the very first petal, ch5 and make a dtr in the next st. Sl st in first made 5-ch to end round.
 
Rnd 4: ch 1 and sc over the 1st dtr of rnd below. Ch 12 and sc between the two dtrs (you made in the same st.) in the next petal. Repeat this pattern around.
 
Rnd 5: sc 12 in each chain. sl st 1 in the first two st of the next ch to start the next round.
 
Rnd 6: ch5, sk 1, dc1, ch3 and make a picot, ch 2, sk 1, dc1, ch2, dc1, ch 12, turn work and sl st on the chain next to the picot you made, next on the newly made chain, sc1, make a 3-ch picot. Repeat this 4 times (I will refer to this as the corner pattern). After the last (5th) picot, sc 2, ch1, sk 1 and dc1 in the next st, make a 3-ch picot,  ch2, sk1 and dc1 in the next st.  Start working the next chain from the 2nd st. Make a dc, ch2, sk1, dc1, 3-ch picot, ch2, sk1, dc1, 3-ch picot, dc1, 3-ch picot for the second time, ch2, sk1, dc1 +picot, ch2, sk1, dc1 (this is the side pattern). After this, repeat the corner pattern and so on until the end of the round. Sl st to the initial chain to end the round.
 
Note: I didn't make the corners in my doily and made picots over all dcs.
 

 
Enjoy this!

 
 

5 comments:

Kate said...

For me, using a crochet chart or paper piecing is impossible. I've tried (both) many times and have decided that at my age it's ok to say I can't do it. Your doily is quite pretty. :)

Alhana said...

I love how different it looks when you use two colours to crochet it. Your reading sessions are helpful to many people who wouldn't dare to use a chart otherwise. :-)

A Crafty Mix said...

Okay you lost me at dc1 :D It's so incredibly beautiful Maya but I have absolutely no idea how to crochet and the patterns always sound like an alien language. I wish I knew how to do it though. I'm besotted with crocheted stuff and you always make the most amazing things

Mia said...

Such a beauty, Maya!!! Thank you sooooooooo much for the pattern! Kisses, my friend.

Sheltie Times said...

I find the visual challenging but I can get through it when they are simple enough. I prefer writing any time.