Thursday, May 16, 2019

Eva's Prom Dress

 


My daughter had her prom night yesterday. Discussing ideas for the dress, she came to me with a picture from the internet and an idea how she'd like that particular dress to be changed for her. She asked me and my mother to make it for her. I was ecstatic. My grandma and mother had made my prom dress and this was history repeating. 

My mother tailored it and we both took parts in sewing it all together. It was a joint labour of love. The initial idea for the bodice was to have tulle insets stitched with different shapes and sizes of sequins and pearls, which Eva decided in the last moment she didn't like that, so a week of stitching was thrown away and I started stitching the sequins directly onto the bodice. Exhausting, but I loved every single stitch. The greatest satisfaction for me and proof that she really liked it was when she tried the finished dress for the first time and started jumping around the room in sheer joy. 

The bodice is heavily adorned at the upper part and gets less decorated as it goes down. The back has just small splashes of sequins. 
The dress falls down in full circle. 

She aimed at a romantic rock look, so she paired the dress with a cropped denim jacket. Instead of high heels, she chose flats. She finished her look with a small, shiny bag. She also had a silver corsage with silver and purple flowers, but I forgot to include it in the last picture. 

She reported having "a blast" last night, so I am happy I took part in making my girl make wonderful memories! 



24 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my gosh, Maya...the dress is beautiful and what a special project three generations of women in your family participated in! A cherished memory. Eva looks like a Rock Queen!

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

AWESOME and Eva sure looks stunning! So glad she had a brilliant prom night!

Divya N said...

OMG! Eva looks gorgeous - bot elegant and fashionable. It is adorable that you made it for her. My school and college didnt have proms and my friends and I always wanted one so that we could wear beautiful long dresses and dance. I am still looking for an opportunity to visit a ball so that I can dress up.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much Jen! My mom was also very excited to take part and get involved in making something special for her first grandbaby.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Marjan. I am glad she stayed down to earth with her wishes and was really modest in her demands.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Divya. I too love having opportunities to dress up - waering a long gown does make one feels royal.

Mia said...

Stunning dress, Maya. Of course your daughter loved it. And it was so nice of you and your mother to make this for her! Congrats, my dear friend.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank youbso much Mia! This is a very exciting period for us!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I love that the making of the dress is history repeating itself. The color is absolutely gorgeous and I love how your daughter has styled it. She looks beautiful!

cristina said...

OMG! Sequins are sewn by you??? Astonishing job!

myrica said...

I love that the making of the dress is history repeating itself.
So glad she had a brilliant prom night and She looks beautiful!
Have a nice day

Maya Kuzman said...

Yes. Thank you Tammy! I will always treasure the moments as memories, we spent working on this dress. She wanted it in grey and the color really suits her well :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Hahaha... thank you Cristina. They were a massive effort. But totally worth it!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Myrica on your sweet comment! Hugs!

Alhana said...

You and your mother both did an amazing job on this beautiful prom dress! Congratulations to Eva as she's now embarking on a new and exciting stage of her life. What a bunch of sweet memories the women in your family have together. :-)

Julie @ My Wee Abode said...

That is a lovely and elegant creation! Love the color and the different fabrics you used. So glad to see you at Homestyle Gathering. We are blessed to have you. ;-) Hope to see you each week!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you very much Alhana! I hope my daughter grows up to keep her family close and treasure the true values in life.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much Julie for the warm welcome!

Kim said...

Eva looks a dream in her beautiful dress, Maya. How beautiful that you and your mum combined with your talents to fashion this exquisite creation. A lot of love has gone into the designing and stitching of this dress. All those sequins.....just fabulous. I love the idea of the denim jacket...oh-so-funky.

La Vie en May said...


Wow, she looks amazing! That prom dress looks stunning on her, love the detail on the bodice. The back of the dress is beautiful too. Love that it's slightly see-through; very chic! Hope she had fun - I remember my prom, except it was like 10/11 years ago now LOL.

May from http://www.lavieenmay.com

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much Kim! We are all busy, busy, rushing to do this and that and often wishing the day could be stretched for a couple of more hours. Hence I am glad, we stopped, joined forces and took our time to slowly work on this and bond even more.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you May! She did have a grand time! My prom was eons ago :)
The bodice front is tulle lined with georgette, while at the back it's just tulle. The stitching was a bit tiring to work on because every little bead or sequin had to be stitched individually.

Mary K. said...

A beautiful dress for a gorgeous young lady! You should be very proud!

Maya Kuzman said...

Aw, thank you so much Mary! We are proud!