Thursday, September 16, 2021

Crochet Swatches Tagging

  
Making pattern swatches is what I love doing when I am in-between projects. It gives me peace of mind to see the yarn I want for a project works good with a certain pattern. 
 
After I make the swatch I always add a tag of the following things:
* Brand of yarn
* Weight  of yarn
* Hook size
* Gauge  (I sometimes leave this out if I want to try it with different yarn and relevant hook)
* Name of pattern / pattern repeats

Tagging swatches is extremely helpful when determining whether a pattern is suitable / good for a crochet garment for example. If I am not satisfied how a swatch looks like with a particular pattern, I try bigger (or smaller) weight of yarn. For me, the most important information on the tag is the pattern repeats, and that info has saved my nerves from wrecking on multiple occasions. 

Do you make swatches? What method do you use to note down / record swatches' essential information?
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

Julie said...

I should be making swatches. It is a good idea.

Alhana said...

You are so organised, I should have done this with my sample granny squares too. Great tip!

My thrift store addiction said...

What a clever idea, Maya! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thanks Julie!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Alhana. They make my crochet planning so much easier!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you for hosting, Cecilia!

Oombawka Design said...

Hi Maya, I just picked up Kraft paper to cut tags to add to my swatches earlier this week :) Now to figure out how to store all the swatches...I was thinking some of those binder (book) rings that open and close but I'm not 100% on that idea yet...I think it might be better than just tossing them into a shoe box though lol - still brainstorming on this. Thank you for linking up at our weekly Link Party! You are being featured at our Wednesday Party #417 this week. Here’s the direct link to the post in case you’d like to share your feature:
https://oombawkadesigncrochet.com/2021/09/autumn-table-runner-daisy-embroidery-swatches-417.html



Hope to see you again next week! Rhondda

Maya Kuzman said...

Well, Rhondda that is a fabulous idea!! I keep them in a box!!! But storing / displaying them in a binder would be immensely better. Like a sampler catalogue! I must try that! Thank you for this idea and many thanks for the feature! I am excited to join the new party!!

poppelandcreates said...

Hi,being on the Internet is such a hassle for me,I usually miss half of the stuff going on 🙈But for the swatches,I used to make it without tags.After frogging quite a few,I began taking pics and adding notes.And I keep the actual swatch in a clear plastic bag.
You're swatches by the way,are beautiful.
frieda

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Frieda! Taking pictures with notes is also a great idea.

poppelandcreates said...

Oops, that grammar mistake�� This usually happens on "autocorrect". Should read "your swatches" of course ��