Friday, August 12, 2011

How to make crocheted beads







This is a tutorial you are really going to like because the finished product is adorable!
How to make crocheted beads in a few easy steps.
Here we go.

Used terms: stitch (st.), single crochet (sc), single crochet 2 together (sc2tog)

Start by chaining three chains. Join with a slip stitch with the last chain from hook to make a ring.

Row 1: 6 sc in ring (6).
Row 2: 2 sc in each stitch (12).
Row 3: 1 sc in one stitch, 2 sc in the next; (18)
Rows 4 - 5: sc 1 in all sts (18) (You can stuff it here)
Row 6: 1 sc, sc2tog (12).
Row 7 - end: sc2tog until end.
Tie the end, thread an embroidery needle and hide the tail inside the bead.



Tips: For the blue bead I used a six-stranded yarn and a 3 mm hook. The red bead from the intro picture is made by a thinner yarn and a 1.9 mm hook. You can see the difference in size. Hence, by combining different yarn and hooks you can have beads in different sizes.
Also, if you want to make big(ger) beads, just repeat row 4 until you achieve the desired size.

As you can see, I used filling for my beads, but you can use this pattern for wooden (plastic) beads too, only you have to insert it earlier and again employ the row 4 instructions.

I usually stuff it after row 6, but you may find it difficult, thus I thought that it may be wise if you stuff it before. Anyway, try both to find out what works best for you.




All these beads are in different sizes and filled with stuffing.
I hope you liked this. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments section.


 
I have a digital tutorial on how to crochet various beads for sale on etsy here.
The tutorial's content:

1. Introduction
2. List of supplies
3. Round / Circular Beads
4. Mini Doilies
5. Ovals / Teardrop Beads
6. Diamond Beads
7. Triangular Beads
8. Bow Necklace
9. Rectangular Beads
10. Twisted Rectangular
11. Wool/ Yarn beads      

25 comments:

Divya said...

They look super cute and you are incredibly patient :)

magdamagda said...

These are sooo cute! I bet you can think of a lot of things you can do with them!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Sure sounds easy enough! Wonder if my results will be the same. ??? Have a great day. Tammy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Sure sounds easy enough! Wonder if my results will be the same. ??? Have a great day. Tammy

Unknown said...

Well Maya, you make it look like it's so easy, which it is for you of course ;-) but little ol' me? They sure look totally pretty!! Have a great weekend, Ira

CrochetBlogger said...

Great tutorial - thanks for sharing!

Donna Baker said...

I've always wondered how to make these - thanks for sharing! so glad I found your blog, there's so much inspiration here, I LOVE it! I am adding you to my Google Reader so I don't miss a post!

Christie said...

These are adorable! I am going to have to try these...as soon as I learn how to crochet!

Carol said...

Fun little project. I would love to see what you did with them.

Anonymous said...

Those are really cool! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

creativejewishmom/sara said...

love this tutorial! one can use little beads like this in so many fun ways! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, now if I can just find a moment for some end of the summer crocheting!

Sachiko said...

Great tutorial!! Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Mindie Hilton said...

So many possibilities with these babies. Just beautiful.

Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time. I am going to have another fun give away at this weeks linky, hope to see you soon.

Alita said...

im fan of this crochet balls.. you can see my blog if you want to see i litlle about my work
hugs from chile

GerryART said...

Found your blog via
Tea Rose Home

I've copied your url for safekeeping and will sub to your blog also.

Love the looks of things 'round here.

hugs

Wiola said...

That's a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!
Lovely crocheted beads :)

SelMama said...

Thank you very much for this wonderful tutorial. Your beads are so cute. I will make them for my children to play with.

Greetings from Germany
SelMama

Cucicucicoo said...

these are so cute! boy, i really need to learn how to crochet... :) lisa

Shirley said...

Absolutely adorable! AC Moore is having a yarn sale, so looks like I'm heading there for some fun colors. I think these will work great in my beaded jewelry as a surprise of color and texture. Thanks so much!

Mania said...

Great tutorial!! Fantastic!! Regards!!

therunawaytrain said...

Thank you for sharing this technique.

Daphnofila art jewelry said...

Fantastic blog!These beads are wonderful! Goodmorning from Greece.

jish said...

hi..this is a very helpful tutorial..What did u stuff it with? Cotton balls?

Maya Kuzman said...

@jish: I filled them with fiberfill, but I guess cotton balls can fir the purpose too.

kjrod said...

Hi, hope you don't mind, I posted a link of your tutorial on my blog post here as an alternative for making crocheted beads here:

http://katthecraft.blogspot.com/2015/03/crocheted-beads-level-up-your-plain.html

I think it's a great idea using stuffing. I made mine with wooden beads, but it's kind of the same process. If I ran out of wooden beads, I'll definitely try this.