Monday, July 21, 2014

Driftwood Hanger for Paper Boats - A Tutorial

 


One of the many driftwood projects I planned to do is this - to use driftwood as a wall hanger. Onto which I wanted to hang paper boats. These I learnt to make as a child and has been  absolutely my favorite origami project throughout the years.

To make them you need craft paper, sewing thread and needle and of course - driftwood. 

 

I cut an A4 sheet in half. You can use any size of paper for different sizes of boats. 

 

Fold the piece in half.

 

 Next, fold the sides inward. 

  
Fold the lower part upwards


Do the same with the other side. 

 
 Put the fingers inside and pull outwards. 


 

The paper resembles a diamond at this stage. 
Press it and tuck in the sides.



 Next, lift the bottom and fold. 



 

Fold the other side, too.


Take the paper in your hands, put the fingers inside and pull.


 

It will look like this. 
Pull the sides so that the center piece springs up.



Shape it up and your boat is done. 

 




We did didn't have many colored paper to choose from so we made several white ones and the kids colored them in colors of their choosing (the bottom part of the picture). 
These can make a cute mobile too. When Jacob was a toddler I had a mobile with these boats hung over his bed.He found them quite amusing.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You wouldn't believe the amount of sailing boats I have folded in the past couple of years (and there's been a few of them ;-) But never in my mind have I thought up to use them as you just have Maya, what a fab and fun idea!
Ira’s Crea Corner

Linda said...

A great tutorial, and such a simple and fun idea for decorating a drab corner. Thanks for sharing xx

Agy said...

Fabulous tutorial. I love the idea of just going outside to collect some twigs and make something useful out of them.

Natasha in Oz said...

Thanks so much for joining the Say G’Day Linky Party. We have pinned your post to the Say G’Day Saturday board!

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

Mindie Hilton said...

I need to try this! I have been wanting to make a tiny paper boat for a vial necklace idea I can't get out of my brain. I am featuring your post tomorrow at Bacon Time!!!