Friday, February 23, 2018

How to Wash Your Crochet Jewelry

 
 
 
One of the most important thing that crochet jewelry lovers want to know is how to take care of crochet jewelry.
 
Mercerized cotton jewelry, is very rewarding to be worn but sadly it does get dirty if worn frequently, and the dirtiness shows especially if it is made in light colors.
 
I filmed a short video how to wash a necklace, and for the video I used the above necklace which I have had for 6 years now and wear it almost every week. I am quite proud with it because it doesn't show any signs of wear or tear after so many years.
 
Now the video is without any sound. I removed it because I didn't like the acoustics in my bathroom, and please note that I am not a brute although I look like a savage washing the poor thing. The explanation - although I think the video is self-explanatory - is below the video.
 


 
(click on the full screen icon to make it bigger)
 
Washing crochet jewelry:
 
1. Let your crochet jewelry (necklace) soak in warm water for a couple of minutes.
 
2.Then add a drop of shampoo. I love using hair shampoo because it makes the piece extra soft, but add just a small drop because it lathers much. Gently massage the crochet pieces - in this case the flowers and leaves.
 
3. When done, rinse thoroughly.
 
4. Press it to get excess of water out.
 
What the video doesn't show is that after being washed, I use a nice fluffy towel onto which I lay the necklace and cover it with the towel so that it collects all the remaining water. I tap it gently and leave for about 15 minutes and then change a new (dry) towel onto which I leave the necklace to air dry.
 
A very important thing to have in mind is that if your crochet piece has any metal parts, you should immediately dry those parts and even use the hairdryer to dry it faster because it might ruin your jewelry. The necklace shown above has no metal parts. The rings are plastic but they pose no danger. Also if you have any wooden parts, above tip should be followed (as for the metal parts).
 
 
A beautiful quality cotton yarn has is that it gets sturdy when dried so you don't need to iron it at all. I always pay attention when laying it to dry  that no leaves nor flowers are bent or squeezed,  so that I won't have to iron it when done.
 
 
Hope this was helpful. If you have any other tips, please share in the comments.
 

 
The pattern for this necklace is here.
 
 
 
 
 

9 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you for the hints on washing the necklace, Maya. Looking at the photo of your beautiful necklace, I would have never believed that it is six years old and is worn weekly. This pretty looks as if you fashioned it only yesterday.

Alhana said...

I thought this was a new necklace too, not one you've been wearing for six years. Thank you for the tips, I'm always hesitant about washing mixed media items because, afraid the metal of plastic parts may become rusty or fall apart. :-)

Maya Kuzman said...

Surprising, isn't it? That also proves the quality of the yarn I work with, which I have never doubted, tbh. The picture is not an old one, but taken after the necklace has dried.

Maya Kuzman said...

I am more afraid of the metal "bleeding" and leaving rust on the yarn, ruining it completely.

Divya N said...

Great Tips Maya. Shampoo with conditioner is a good solution for washing fabric jewelry. But sometimes it is better to spot clean if the piece has wooden or metal parts. The metal might rust and the wood might rot. Also, one should never iron a piece that has plastic as it will melt.

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Very helpful indeed. I do not mind washing cushions nor blankets, but necklaces is (was!) a bit tricky... Must now wet-block rest of the "grapes" for that commissioned shawl...

Unknown said...

Hi, Maya! For how many minutes should I soak crochet earrings in soapy water?

Maya Kuzman said...

Hello and thank you for your question. It really depends on the yarn or thread used. If it crochet thread, I would suggest 5-10 minutes. If a heavier weight is used then about 15 minutes will be ok. Make sure to rinse thoroughly and gently squeeze excess of water and immediately wipe/dry any metal parts there might be. Hope this helps.

One pen and a thousand words said...

Thank you so much♥