Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Repurposing project: Chandelier Necklace

 
 
 
My grandma had a wonderful crystal beads necklace - even at the time it looked vintage and she claimed she had had it in her youth so it really was old when I was a child, but it was well preserved.
 
Sadly, I don't have it - my cousin inherited that piece, but I can vividly remember putting it on along with some of her "ball dresses" for our pretend plays.
 
The story of the chandelier necklace and the ball dresses
 
My maternal grandma was a professional seamstress and she could sew the most dazzling dresses. She loved telling us about dresses she made for her to wear at the balls and dances organized by what was called the Officer's Club which represented the most prominent building with many luxuriously furnished halls and rooms  adorned with enormous Czechoslovakian crystal chandeliers.
 
Albeit the name, the club was open for the elite, the representatives of the city class and other prominent people and a  membership card verified by certain chambers and acclaimed associations was the entry to the numerous balls, dances and recitals organized by various cultural, artistic and sport associations.
 
The balls were something we, the grandchildren - all girls - were most interested in. And grandma could weave the most magical stories of those parties spent dancing in sateen and tulle dresses, wearing her glass necklace under the luxurious chandeliers in the hall. Sigh....
 
Which brings me to my necklace.
So it happened that we had a huge chandelier, heavily adorned with big and small glass beads, and when my mother renovated her place she decided to get rid of it.
 
Of course, I couldn't let her throw all those wonderful glass beads away! I thought of grandma's necklace immediately!
 
There are about 50 of the small crystals- just a tiny portion shown here and a number of big ones which I didn't save all - took just about 10, for something I will dream of. I wanted to make a crochet necklace with the big ones - I made a crochet case for one but that project is UFO classified until further attempt. 
 
 
 
Finally I decided to put those beads to use and make myself a remembrance necklace - my chandelier necklace in honor of my beloved grandma. She is the one smiling from my photo album here. The design of the necklace is simple but the effect is wondrous.
 
Now, I am waiting for my ball to wear it to.
 
 

22 comments:

Melody A. said...

Gorgeous and what a wonderful story and remembrance of her!! take care from Iowa

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Oh dear, I'm absolutely smitten with this! And just thinking of the four (4!!!) crystal glass chandeliers in my parent's house.... That would make a lot of necklaces... Actually, as a child, I often wondered if one could turn those beautifully glittering glass beads into pretty jewelry (always been a little princess in my heart and in my dreams ;-))...

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Melody. I have and old soul and adore stories from the past and vintage things.

Maya Kuzman said...

Oh.. you've got loads of treasures then Marjan :)
If your parents decide to toss them, you'll have the supplies ready at hand :)

Alhana said...

What a wonderful story behind this necklace! My grandma had one of those chandeliers, but it was such a pain to clean (we had to do it ourselves since she was too old for that) that we simply got rid of it without regrets or keepsakes. Your design looks very beautiful, don't forget to take a picture of yourself when you have the chance to wear it. I'm sure you'll look stunning!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I loved reading about how your grandmother was a seemstress making all of the beautiful dresses. I love your necklace you made and you are so talented in jewlery making. The necklace will look pretty with many outfits.

Kate said...

It's awesome, Maya, and your grandmother would be proud. I enjoyed reading about your Grandma - wonderful memories for you.

Maya Kuzman said...

My mom actually did the cleaning - this chandelier was my grandparents'but as you say, they left the cleaning to mom fearing we might break something. I already tried the necklace with some pieces to see how it goes , and cannot wait to wear it somewhere.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Julie. Today she would be called a fashion designer, but not in those times.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Kate. I do like to think she's smiling from heaven.

Divya N said...

Its such a lovely story. I remember my grandmom having pieces of an antique chandelier at her house and I would play with them as a child. I remember her giving some to me but in the subsequent house changes I lost them. Seeing your beautiful necklace brought back all those memories

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you a lot Divya!I am so happy this post brought collective memories back and struck a chord with many people. And from what I see from the replies we all cherish memories with our grandmas.

Coastal Bohemian said...

Too pretty. I love my Grandmother's crystals and I would like to make this necklace. Thx fro a great post. Found you at Pin Junkie Party.

Patricia said...

Wow. That is so amazingly pretty! Your photos are gorgeous!

Mia said...

Hi Maya! I do have some crystals from an old chandelier. Thank you so much for the inspiration!!!!! Your necklace is awesome!!!!!! Kisses, my friend.

Kim said...

Your grandmother seems have had the most fabulous stories to tell. How fortunate you are to have these memories of her, weaving magical stories of balls, pretty dresses, chandeliers........when you were a child! How fabulous she was a seamstress! Your beautiful necklace filled with those pretty 'crystals' is a treasure. I hope your invitation to the ball arrives soon. Perhaps it will be delivered personally by the Queen's envoy riding in the royal golden coach. =)

A Crafty Mix said...

Such a lovely story you shared of your GrandMom Maya. She's sounds so beautiful, like a true princess. I bet smiling down from heaven every time she sees what her Gran daughter has made, including this stunning necklace. I can just imagine how beautiful it must look as it twinkles and glistens under the lights in a ballroom

Midnight Cowgirl said...

What a beautiful way to reuse pieces from a chandelier :)

CraftyHope said...

That necklace is super, extraordinary, extremely awesome. And, the fact that it reminds you of your grandmother and came from your mom's chandelier is even better! It's a real treasure!!

Maya Kuzman said...

So beautifully said Kim! I wish it does come true! As for grandma, I think those were better times to live. I am so disappointed by gradual deteoriation of society and moral and ethical standards..

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you on the sweet comment Michelle. Both my grans were deeply involved with handcraft. One a popular seamstress in the town, the other master of knitting and crochet. Both my soul mates. I know they are smiling in heaven!

My thrift store addiction said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your lovely creations at Vintage Charm!