Wednesday, February 6, 2019

How to Read Crochet Charts: Valentine's Heart

 
 
 
This is the first chart reading in the new year, so it is bound to be fun if you are inclined to make hearts for Valentine's.
 
The diagram was taken from pinterest.
To make the heart I used sport yarn and 1.9 mm hook. The finished measurements of the heart is 11cm at the widest point and 8 cm center down. Please note that the chunkier the yarn you use, the bigger the heart will be.
 
Pattern:
 
Hearts Body
Foundation and Row 1: Ch19 and dc1 in the 7th st from hk. Ch1, sk1, dc1 then repeat this pattern 5 x more.
 
Row 2: Ch 4 and turn. Sk1,dc1 over the dc of the row below. Repeat pattern from row 1 six times.
 
Rows 3-6: Repeat row 2. Cut yarn.
 
Heart's upper right.
Round 1: insert yarn in the 5th dc (counting from left to right) and ch5. Sl st in the 3rd ch (counting from left to right), ch 3 and sl st again in the 1st dc (not counting the 4-chain at the beginning of the row below).
 
Round 2: Dc12 in the chain and sl st in the 2nd st (from right to left) (13).
 
Round 3: Ch 3 and sl st in the last dc (on the right), ch1, dc1 in the next st. Repeat this 10 times more. Then ch1 and sl to end the round.
 
 
Heart's upper left.
Round 1: insert yarn in the 4th ch-space (counting from left to right) and ch5. Sl st in the 3rd ch (counting from left to right), ch 3 and sl st again in the 1st dc (not counting the 4-chain at the beginning of the row below).
 
Round 2: Dc12 in the chain and sl st in the 2nd st (from right to left) (13).
 
Round 3: Ch 3 and sl st in the last dc (on the right), ch1, dc1 in the next st. Repeat this 10 times more. Then ch1 and sl to end the round.
 
Outer border: When you finish the left upper heart shape, ch 1 and sc in every stitch around the whole heart. Sl st to end it.
 
In the picture it is the biggest pink heart. I opted to make smaller ones so I resized the pattern. Enjoy it!
 
 
 
 

21 comments:

Kim said...

Your hearts are so pretty; perfect for Valentine's Day.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Kim!

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

These hearts are cute indeed!

Divya N said...

I agree with Kim, the hearts are perfect for Valentine's Day.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I love the hearts you made in pink and red. Thanks for the chart and pattern to make them. :)

Kate said...

Maya, I like these hearts but charts still confound me so I thank you for the written instructions. ^^

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Kate! But reading charts is so easy. I quit using written patterns the minute I learnt how to read the charts. You should try - it is a true revelation :)

Alhana said...

I am sure your directions will help many people who don't like working with charts. These hearts are charming and perfect for the incoming holiday. Thank you so much for sharing!

Maya Kuzman said...

You are welcome Alhana! I know you love charts too :)

Sheri said...

Love these! Thanks for sharing at To Grandma's House We Go DIY, Crafts, Recipes and More Link Party. I pinned this! Hope to have you join again next week. Have a great day!

Anabelia Craft Design said...

Hello, dear! 😊
What an lovely crochet heart idea! I'd like to include one of these pictures in a Round-Up of Crochet Projects for Valentine's Day that I'm going to publish soon in my blog.
Of course, I will attach the appropriate link to your blog.
Thanks so much for sharing the pattern with us.
I wish you a lovely Sunday! 💕 🍃🌸🍃
Anabelia Craft Design

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Sheri!

Maya Kuzman said...

That is so sweet of you Anabelia! Thank you so much for including mine! I've already featured the selection on my social media, hope it picks up traffic!

A Crafty Mix said...

Please, please do a video tutorial one day Maya for all us crochet addicts who have absolutely no idea how to do it. I so want to learn

Janet Trieschman said...

I can read a pattern but I haven't take the time to learn to read a chart. I need to do this. I really like your hearts. I have been crocheting a different version for charity and the Peyton Heart Project. Thanks for sharing with us at Creatively Crafty Link Party #CCBG.

Maya Kuzman said...

It is in my plans for this year Michelle. We'll see how that goes;)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Janet. I highly recommend learning crochet charts. It is so much faster and easier.

Marie-Interior Frugalista said...

Your crochet heart pattern is so pretty and unique. Love it!

Cheryl said...

Beautiful!! I always have problems reading crochet directions. I might be able to do this! Thank you, coming from Tuesday Turn About!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Marie!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you for having me Cheryl!! I hope you give it a try ;)