Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Little Women

 



I watched the first Little Women film when I was a kid and the marvelous Katharine Hepburn being my favourite actress at the time left a strong imprint on me, masterfully portraying the role of Josephine March. 

It happened when I was at university majoring English language and literature that I stumbled upon a second hand copy of Ms.Alcott's novel (my copy was published in 1973). Normally it became one of the most treasured books in my collection.

 
As the new remake of the film is in the run for Oscar, I started rereading it and enjoying every single minute of it. I haven't seen the new release of the film yet, but it sparked the idea for a new collection. I have seen every single image of the film posted online and read through all the interviews I could find with director Greta Gerwig and especially costume designer Jacqueline Durran, who managed to recreate vintage clothes and make them look seductive to the modern viewer. 

As I am excitedly preparing to see the film, I have already outlined several crochet pieces I want to make (2 are actually done) inspired by it. Cannot wait to show you!


What about you? Have you seen the film yet? What are your thoughts?

8 comments:

Sum of their Stories said...

I love it, I had a few issues (Jo's german bloke is much to young and good looking!) but generally I thought it was really good. The ending is great, especially if you've read up about Louise May Alcott.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Wow, that is wonderful that you were inspired by the book and movie to make some pieces for your crochet collection. I am so happy that I convinced my husband to see with me this weekend. I hope you see the movie soon too.

Kim said...

I have seen every version of Little Women on screen, and read the books many times. Only last week I went to see the latest refreshing and energetic adaptation and it was wonderful, Maya. I sat in the darkness of the cinema totally enthralled...the sets, the music, the costumes, the story line.....the acting....all spoke to my heart. When I watched an interview with the director, Greta Gerwig, she struck a chord within me when she said that she and Jacqueline Durran, the costume designer, had such fun as they visited exquisite fabric shop after exquisite shop with sketches and designs in their hands, searching for the perfect fabrics. Hearing this I knew the story was going to be safe in the hands of a director such as Greta Gerwig. Would you believe I am off to see the movie again tomorrow with a friend. I want to be transported once again, if only for 2 hours, to the passionate and endearing world of the March family. As for your crochet pieces you are imagining.....I cannot wait to see them. Enjoy the movie!

Alhana said...

'Little Women' is one of my favourite books and the 1949 version is the one for me (starring a young Elizabeth Taylor as Amy). I haven't liked any of the movies that were filmed after it and won't probably watch the new one either. Let's see what this wonderful story inspired you to make!

Maya Kuzman said...

I am sure I will be awestruck as well Kim:) The film is coming to our cinemas in a couple of days and I am ready to be put under its spell! On my Little Women post on FB, a lady linked an interview (which I have already read) with a knitter that Ms. Durran found and hired to make several of the scarves the March girls wear in the film. And I find that impressive. She not only uses her expertise and talent in the subject of costume design, but also reaches to craftsmen and artists in the process so as to masterfully deepen and enrich the whole experience.

handmade by amalia said...

I loved the film and the costumes were, indeed, gorgeous, the whole artistic design was beautiful. One of my favorite books as well, growing up. Can't wait to see what you make, Maya!
Amalia
xo

Divya N said...

I hate to admit that I have never read this book or watched the movies inspired by it. You have given me something to add to my must do list for this year.

Reidland Family said...

I haven't seen the movie but I look forward to it.