Wednesday, February 23, 2011

No knit braided scarflette


The minute I saw the fragile snowflakes fluttering about this morning, I knew the "springlike weather" was just a tease and that this requires a nice pre-spring project.
I have had this tutorial on my mind for a long time and I am glad I made it.

Now, this is for all you non-knitters and non-crocheters out there. It doesn't mean that if you don't knit or crochet you cannot make yourselves a nice scarflette. It's so easy you'd wonder why you didn't make this earlier.

All you need is a couple of good braids. Actually I made five of them, but you can make more if you like. (And to be honest I cheated a bit and crocheted them because it was faster.) Here you also determine the length of your braids. I made them short (to resemble a choker) and I left the tassels. However you can make it as long as you like .



When the braids are ready sew them together.
I didn't say anything about no sewing :)



This is what it looks like finished.
All five braids sewn together.



Even out the tassels.



Now, this is for the closure.
I didn't include any buttons or ties because I had something else on my mind.
I divided the tassels into two equal parts and tied each piece at the base.



Then I tied them both below, leaving just a small hole through which
you are going to slip the other part of the scarflette.
I could have easily left an unsewn piece in the scarflette for the closure (i.e the hole),
but I liked it this way better.



There you go. Your own scarflette.



You can wear it with the closure at front.



Or at the side.

The project is easy and quick. You can even involve your children into this activity to make their own scarves and don't meddle with needles.

20 comments:

rhr-ozgrkdn said...

Hi Maya,thank you for your visit:)I'm happy..Have a nice day:)

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Beautiful scarf, yarn and technique. Thank you for posting this.
PS I hope you are blessed with spring soon. There is still quite a bit of snow on the ground in these parts and the air is frigid.

ByNightCreations said...

We also had snow yesterday... and I too was sad spring wasn't there for real :-)
That scarf idea is just adorable. I love that deep aqua blue color yarn you used! thanks for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

Goodness Maya, you are so creative! I just love this scarf! So apparently you had the same weather like us yesterday... Last week it looked like spring was finally there, but no, guess we'll have to wait a bit!

Popbabe7 said...

Wow I'm impressed!!

magdamagda said...

that's clever and lovely!

creativejewishmom/sara said...

Great project Maya! I guess it's sort of fun to pretend you don't know how to crochet once in a while. Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

Deepi's World said...

Fantastic idea! Sure gonna try this one.....thanks for dropping by at my blog.

Sandy Ang said...

How chic ! I definitely am inspired to take up crochet

Papgena Made It said...

AWSOME!!!
It's a perfect project for my daughter. She can begin small for her dolls and get bigger!
Thank you!!!

Sus said...

Clever! More "simple elegance" -- I love it! (Great color on you, too, btw)

AllieMakes! said...

Very cool! For those of us who are not the best of knitters!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Melissa said...

This is so great! I featured it on today's My Crafty Weekend! Thanks so much for sharing!

Vidya said...

Wow!!!!!! Thanks a lot for this technique.. I had the desire to make a scarf, but failed with it's difficulty.. now, I can try one too :)

Anji* said...

This is genius! I don't knit or crochet so perfect for me, and it looks fabulous to boot!

Fancy Lads said...

Gorgeous! I love the color you chose,it's perfect for this project! Thanks for sharing how you did it!
P.S. I had this open as a tab and the headline was "No knit Bra" and I was like 'WHOA!" Thanks for the laugh :)

MateaTPol said...

hellou Maya, that's really nice and your cutwork is superb, i was doing that when i was younger but i dont have patience for that, so I sew , hehe :)

Ebony said...

What a fabulous idea! Thank you for sharing it! :)

Rosa said...

It's a very interesting one skein project! Thank you!

Lia said...

I translated this tutorial into Italian, with the permission of kind kind kind Maya of course. If someone is interested: http://www.cosedilia.com/sciarpina-intrecciata.html

Ho tradotto questo tutorial in italiano, naturalmente con il permesso della gentilissima Maya. Se a qualcuno interessa: http://www.cosedilia.com/sciarpina-intrecciata.html