Sunday, November 23, 2014

No Knit Just Sew: Drape Scarf Tutorial



Even in my wildest craft dreams I wouldn't think a tutorial like this one for my Ruffled Scarf would bring me tons of traffic on daily basis. But it has been enormously successful. So I thought why not make another one with a different - no knit of course - technique.

And voila! Here's the "No Knit - Drape Scarf".

To make this scarf you need a skein of chunky yarn - the chunkier the better.

Step 1: Cut 7 strips of yarn approx. 2 m long (this depends on your preferences). My daughter wanted a scarf she could wrap around 2 or 3 times, so I made it longer.





Step 2: Align all strips and decide how much you want them to hang loosely. I left about 15 cm / 5.9". After that push the strips through the feet and sew them across. Without interrupting the sewing, turn the work the other way and continue sewing. 

You can sew in a straight line or do a zig- zag across  (as shown in the picture). Sew only a small portion - that would be the "island" or "patch" in the scarf. Mine was 10 cm / 3.9".  Stop sewing when you make a nice island, backstitch and cut the sewing thread.

 
Step 3: Gather an equal amount of yarn (in my case it was 23 cm / 9.1"  long ) - this is the drape - and sew another "island" after that. Note that the yarn you left unsewn should be equal in length (although it may not appear as such in this photo) so that it drapes nicely.


 
 Basically, this is it.


 Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the end. Don't forget to leave the loose ends at the end.

Because I wasn't satisfied with the width of our scarf, I repeated the process 2 times, meaning I made three scarfs like the one in the picture above and sewed all three together.

If you decide to add another part and make it wider,
after you make the second one, join the two, align them, and sew them together. Note that you have to sew exactly on the "island" parts, and leave the drape parts as they are.

{Add a third one if you think it would look better. I did.}



And there is your no knit, Drape Scarf!
I hope you enjoyed this :)

Want to learn more about sewing? Here you can find excellent tips and tricks to make sewing enjoyable and rewarding !



7 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Maya, wow the scarf is so pretty just like your daughter modeling the scarf! I wish I still had my sewing machine but I gave it back to my mom many years ago since I never used it! Thanks for the tutorial.
Julie

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more Maya! Furthermore, I think it's absolutely wonderful that Eva has picked 'our' pretty Dutch orange colour, lol! Oh, how fluffy the scarf looks, your daughter will wear hers with pride and so much pleasure!
Ira’s Crea Corner

Donna Wilkes said...

Maya, the scarf turned out beautiful. thanks for sharing it at Make It Monday.

Ildiko said...

gorgeous model with pretty scarf!!!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Maya, I love this scarf! And, your daughter is beautiful!! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's bash. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/12/make-it-pretty-monday-week-122-and.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Unknown said...

Very very CUTE... I am going to make one... So you used 21 strands of yarn & not 7 like the tutorial stated in photo #1??

Maya Kuzman said...

Yes, that's right. 3x7=21
I saw that it is not as chunky as we desired so I increased it.