To make this beautiful necklace I was inspired by Macedonian rich traditional costumes and embroidery.
Macedonian folk costumes have a centuries-long tradition. They are part of the material culture of the Macedonian people and an important branch of the national artistic creation.
In the past, the peasant woman in particular, was the one who created the costumes starting from dyeing the yarn, weaving it into coarse cotton cloths and tightly woven wool yarn and cloths, sewing the parts of clothing and decorating it with rich embroidery.
How to make this necklace:
1. In making this fabric necklace you will need printed fabric. I chose a colorful one with colors that resemble traditional motifs and colors. The design is retro but I thought it would fit the project I had in mind.
1. Cut out a square of fabric.
2. Cut it into strips.
3. This is optional - embroider the piece and add beads. When done, to secure that it does not fray much, fix it with a blanket stitch around the strip
4. Fold the strip and sew both (upper) ends together.
5. Repeat this with the other strips.
6. Line them up to see what arrangement makes the design look the best. Note that I made the central strip a little bit longer so that it protrudes / stands out from the other strips and marks the center.
7. / 8. Make tassels and add to the center and the two strips (from left and right) next to it.
9. /10. Crochet a chain / use a leather or cotton cord onto which you insert the strips of fabric. You can add tassels to the cord as a finishing touch too.
Your new attractive necklace!
If you want to learn more about Macedonian folk costumes, please visit me here.