Monday, October 5, 2015

Sew a Fringed Scarf - DIY project

 
 


Happy Monday everyone!

Today I am going to show you how to sew an amazingly easy fringed scarf. If you don't sew or feel a bit lazy to make it from scratch, you can refashion an existing scarf by just adding the lace(y) fringes.




For this project you need:

A thin preferably cotton fabric ( I had 1.5 m)
Lace border / trim with (seemingly) free / loose fringes (similar to mine)

Step 1:



Fold the fabric in half with the face inside and draw a long straight line (these are the ends) and then gradually make it slop downwards to the end, that is to say - make it wider (this is the center of the scarf). Remember to add seam allowance.

Step 2:


Cut it out.

Step 3:


Sew it all around. You can combine this and step 4, but I decided to do them separately.


Step 4:


Pin the trim and topstitch it. 


Step 5:

 
Fold the trim a tiny bit at the center while sewing so it follows the design of the scarf.





And the scarf is done.

Now for the final touch.

This is the scarf with the fringes - if I can call them that - intact/ as are.

 
 
Since I wanted a more playful, flowing look, I cut them loose
 like this
 
 

 
And I got this look.
 
 




I hope you like it!
If you decide to make it, I would love if you write and let me see it.
 

10 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Maya,
You have made the prettiest scarf!
Thanks for sharing this tutorial on how to make one with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Enjoy the week.
Julie xo

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you for having me Julie!

Agy said...

That's very pretty, and easy to do as well!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thanks Agy!

Anastasia Ivy said...

That fringe is glorious! I always try to keep an eye out for clearances or second hand lace to do fun stuff like this with. Beautiful work :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Anastasia! My friends always consult me before throwing out trims / lace :)

Unknown said...

Looks so beautiful!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Jessica !

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Jessica !

Divya N said...

I seemed to have missed this post before, the fringed scarf is a very fun idea. I love the difference cutting out the fringes have made to the scarf