I am so, so happy the weekend is here. After a tiresome and stressful week at work I am really looking forward for some walks in nature, fresh air and pink blooms.
But before I sign off let me tell you not to throw old ties away. Why not? Well they make really cute statement bracelets. All you need is a wild imagination and lots of what-nots (think of laces, ribbons, buttons, beads, charms...) to create some amazing OOAK bracelets.
Secondly, the tutorial below does not show you how to stitch the tie like I did with mine, but shows you the general idea of reusing a tie.
1. Take a tie, wrap it around your wrist to measure a nice fit, mark it (pin it).
2. Cut it.
4. When unpicked cut that middle piece up to 3 cm / 1.2"
5. Fold the upper layers inwards (up to the cut off part) and pin. You may want to iron so that the edges are neat.
Thread a needle and sew the edges using an invisible stitch.
6. Decorate it. For my bracelet I stitched it with embroidery floss. It wasn't easy because I worked with a silk tie and where I used thicker thread it wrinkled and made folds, but I don't really mind that. Also I added one of the ceramic beads I suffocated you with in earlier posts.
7. Add push snaps and you are done!
This tie was not my original choice - instead I had selected a golden one. I washed it got it ready for transformation and it suddenly disappeared. I turned the house upside down but couldn't find it to save my soul. I am sure it'll turn up now that I posted this and when it does I am going to show you another method of beautifying old ties.
If you try this and post it anywhere, drop me a note - I'd love to see it!