Monday, September 24, 2018

Porcelain Dolls Master - Fugi Naim




There was I, leisurely browsing pinterest for inspiration, when suddenly this image of these gorgeous porcelain ladies dressed in cups, jumps off in front of me and completely swipes me off my feet. And I stared in amazement, for I have never seen such porcelain beauties.

In the past, we had a glass factory in Skopje that made  unique, amazing, delicate glass and porcelain figurines and normally, almost every household had them, so these brought a rush of sweet childhood memories!



The artist, as I found out, is Fugi Naim. I found her online presentation and I am sharing it in full detail and originally as is:

My name is Fugi Naim. I am a mother of two, I live and work in a secluded and beautiful village in the Judean Hills on the outskirts of Jerusalem, Israel.
Art is my life and has been for as long as I can remember.
I have always dabbled in all kinds of art and crafts, creating, inventing and inspiring. What has always fascinated me the most were dolls and figurines.




As a child, I spent a lot of time at my grandparent’s home with all kinds of collectible dolls and art pieces from around the world surrounding me. My favorite was their glass cabinet collection, which was packed with dolls, figurines and ornaments.




Over the years, I’ve created a large number of dolls in various styles, shapes and materials. About 3 years ago something wonderful happened, I received a ceramic oven as a gift. The moment I began working with clay, I knew I found my new creative home. A whole new and exciting world was opened to me, allowing my creativity to enter areas it never did before.



At first, I started making flat elements mainly for mosaic, than I began making parts of dolls, creating a complete doll was only a matter of time…

The first dolls I created were based on old dolls from my private collection. As time passed, I found rare old dolls which inspired me to bring them back to life in a new forms, recreating, inventing, adding my own unique touch and feel to each doll.



The idea behind my work is the use of existing dolls – old vintage dolls that are not being produced anymore today. I choose the doll and make a plaster mold of it, then I pour liquid clay into it. When it has hardened, I take the doll made of clay from the mold, then I sculpt and paint the doll, adding details to make it special and different – my own.
My creations, include burning the clay in high temperatures, drawing, painting and glazing. Together, they bring me to a state where I feel safe, complete and very creative.

I am sure these stunning figurines will steal your heart too! 




These days, my Etsy Shop allows me to focus on making dolls that are based on the adorable vintage Sun Rubber Co. dolls, a collection close to my heart.


7 comments:

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

So charming. The cup-ladies are absolutely wonderful, they make me smile, but the other pieces aren't as dull as usual porcelain figurines are either!

handmade by amalia said...

What an artist! I've never seen such unique and brilliant work.
Amalia
xo

Maya Kuzman said...

No. I think every little figurine is a masterpiece!

Divya N said...

The tea cups dolls are not the dainty dolls that I usually associate with porcelain but they are ornate and quite lovely.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

That is a talented artist Maya and thanks for introducing her art to our Cooking and Crafting with J & J link party.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you for having me Julie!

Kippi O'Hern said...

Those ladies with the tea cups are magical. This artist is amazing thank you for sharing.