Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Small Yarn Balls Storage Ideas


Working on crochet jewelry mostly composed of flowers, leaves me with a large amount of very small yarn balls. I am talking about tiny balls less than 10 grams. These, as you can imagine, are very difficult to store, so a practical solution that works wonders for me is to store them in glass bottles and jars. That way I always know what colors I have available at hand. 

I store slightly large balls and cakes in wicker baskets I have in several sizes and this cute bamboo chest above I got from my mom.



Looking for ideas on the internet I found this image posted by Shelley of yarn-filled trays  placed one of top of the other and I just love it! This looks like a huge space-saver.


Wool Free also loves to use jars, but she has hers sorted out by colors, while Kristin repurposes egg cartons to stash away her yarn balls. 
 
 

How do you store your small yarn balls?

11 comments:

Alhana said...

Thank you for sharing, Maya! Your post came in handy, I needed this. Yesterday I was cleaning my supplies drawer and found many small yarn balls. It was a mess! I almost threw them in the garbage but decided to pospone it. Now I will put them in glass jars and display them beautifully on the shelves. :-)

Maya Kuzman said...

Glad this can help, Alhana! I also use glass jars/bottles for buttons, metal findings for jewelry, embroidery floss, even pinecones and twigs :)

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

In Boxes and in bags. As I have the majority of my yarn in boxes by brand & yarnbase, I put the small bits into those boxes too.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Lovely way to store your small balls of yarn. I've got my cotton thick and thing yarns in separate containers so I can see them, but everything else is piled into baskets or storage boxes where I can't see them and that's not a good thing. We are likely more prone to use what's out in the open rather than hidden away. :/

Sheltie Times said...

Great ideas. I'm seriously thinking about kids cubbies for my larger yarn storage.

My thrift store addiction said...

The jars of yarn make such a pretty display! Thanks for sharing your creative storage ideas at Vintage Charm!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

This is my personal favorite from last week’s Funtastic Friday, also pinned to the FF board! Thanks for sharing great such great content! Stop by and see what’s new, thanks again Melynda@ScratchMadeFood!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much Melynda!! Cannot wait for this week's party!

handmade by amalia said...

How clever, I especially like the egg carton idea. I keep mine in a big basket.
Amalia
xo

My Hubbard Home said...

It's always those bits and pieces that are hard to store, but you have some good ideas. The egg carton was my favorite. Thanks for sharing at the FWF link party.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much for having me!