Thursday, June 10, 2021

Crochet Covered Buttons - free pattern

 
 
For a crocheted top that I designed, I needed crochet-covered buttons, and when I saw how beautifully they came out, I immediately got the itch to try the pattern with different sizes of buttons, and voila! 

 
 
These are so versatile and I have so many ideas how to use them, my brain is literally bursting at the seams :)
For my "button" project I chose 4 sizes of buttons, one of which  goes to the extreme, but that one proved to be my newest and best canvas for creative expression.  
 
To cover buttons, use sport yarn and a 1.9mm / 2mm hook. The recommended hook for sport yarn is a 3.00mm hook, but we want our stitches to be tighter and compact, hence the smaller hook. 
 
Pattern (in American terminology)
 
Foundation and round 1: ch5 and join to make a ring. Sc2 in each chain (not in ring) (10).
Round 2: sc1 in 1st st., sc2 in next. Repeat this pattern around. (15)
Round 3: sc1 in first two stitches, sc2 in next. Repeat this pattern around. (20)
Round 4: sc1 in first three stitches, sc2 in next. Repeat this pattern around. (25)
 
Now, this is important. Whatever the size of your button, crochet as many rounds that will fit your button. Place the button onto the crochet circle and if it is the same size, stop increasing there. Make another round of sc1 in all stitches. In the next round, sc1, sc2tog. Insert the button after this round. After that, sc2tog until there are 5-6 stitches left. Cut yarn, weave a threading needle and sew the remaining stitches in a zig-zag manner. If you sc2tog to the end, the back will become bulky and you don't want that to happen.

For example, for the pink button in the pictures below, I needed to crochet just the first two rounds and ended up with 15 st in the round. From there, I sc1 all around, and sc2tog to nearly the end (as described above). Another thing I might mention is that I always insert the button with its face up - where the back of the crocheted piece is going to be. And that is it! As easy as a pie!

Have you tried crocheting over buttons? What's your experience?




20 comments:

Create With Joy said...

Maya, I am such a fan of your blog and your beautiful creations!
CONGRATS - you are our Friend of the Week at Friendship Friday at Create With Joy! :-)

Alhana said...

Well, I am a bit ashamed to admit I didn't know you could cover buttons with crochet the same way you do with fabric! This is something that I am surely going to try. Do you recommend embroidering them before or after fastening off those last stitches? Not sure whether it would make a difference when hiding ends.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful 😍

Maya Kuzman said...

Aww!! I am do happy and excited Joy!! Thank you so much!! Xxx

Maya Kuzman said...

I wondered if I should mention that in the post, but decided bot to, because the post is not how to stitch the buttons. I would definitely recommend prior to finishing the buttons. The only negative thing is that you will have the working yarn meddling about while you embroider. I did the embroidery on the surface of the crochetwork, which was a bit strange and required more effort because of the button, but the backs remained clean. I will definitely try again but without the buttons inserted in the nest/cover, next time.

Maya Kuzman said...

*decided NOT to

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you!

Marie-Interior Frugalista said...

This would be a great way to dress up a plain sweater. But they'd make great brooches or even earrings too!

Alhana said...

Thank you, Maya! I will let you know how they turn out. :-)

Maya Kuzman said...

Yes, Marie! I wanted to attach the biggest ones on my summer jute bag, but didn't like how it looked, so now I am making some in brighter colors to get a more of a boho vibe which I think will be more suitable for said bag.

Maya Kuzman said...

Please do.

Linda Kilsdonk said...

I don't know how to crochet, but that doesn't stop me from admiring the work of those who do. These are so much fun and exquisite at the same time! Smiles, Linda at Paper Seedlings

Kim said...

Those crochet buttons are so sweet with the pretty embroidered flowers. These would certainly add gorgeousness to a crocheted or knitted cardie. Why, one would never use run-of-the-mill buttons ever, ever again.

Shami Immanuel said...

The buttons are perfectly crocheted with embelishments. You are so creative.

Oombawka Design said...

Hi Maya! I love the look of these buttons and their pretty embroidered flowers ♥ Thank you for linking up at our weekly Link Party! You are being featured at our Wednesday Party #403 this week. Here’s the direct link to the post in case you’d like to share your feature:
https://oombawkadesigncrochet.com/2021/06/crochet-boy-crochet-covered-buttons-crochet-unicorns.html

Hope to see you again next week! Rhondda

Kate said...

Such a brilliant idea Maya! Thank you for sharing.

Ginx Craft said...

These are just so lovely. I love the embroidery. Thanks for joining in Ginx Woolly Linx party for June.

Annemarie's Haakblog said...

They are so pretty! Thanks for visiting my link party. I hope to see you again next week.

Red Haired Amazona said...

Oh.my.glob. This is literally the cutest and most innovative thing I've seen all morning. I immediately want to crochet on all my buttons!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you red haired lady! I hope you give them buttons a try :)