Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Crochet Market Bag

Starting December 1, only biodegradable bags can be sold at shops / supermarkets and the price of the same is a quarter of one kidney, or in percentages, the increase is 650%. As a green person, I am fine with the law, although it has many flaws and it seems it wasn't thought through well, but who am I to judge. I would have rather they'd banned them all!
 
Canvas and fabric bags have always worked for me, but I was itching to make a crochet bag and here it is. Although it looks small, it can stretch amazingly and it is quite strong. I applaud my DK yarn for that! The pattern for this one is coming shortly.
 
Do you use plastic bags? What's the law in your part of the world?

8 comments:

EL INVENTARIO DE MJ said...

Así es ... pronto usar bolsas de plástico, casi será delito.

Yo también estoy haciendo acopio de bolsas reutilizables.

Me gusta tu diseño de punto de red, te ha quedado genial.

BESOS

Alhana said...

They're sold for a few cents in supermarkets and some shops still give them for free although they aren't supposed to do so. Nevertheless I always carry a fabric bag whenever I go out, just in case I end buying something. Your crochet bag looks very cute, like the ones that were used in the 70s and 80s!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

It costs 5 cents for a plastic bag at a supermarket or store. I always carry a fabric bag in my handbag to use for shopping in a store. When I go food shopping I have a lot of bags to use for groceries. The bag you crocheted is pretty and I love the color of the yarn. In boutiques in my neighborhood the bag that you made are expensive. I love what you made Maya.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you MJ! Save the landfills one bag at a time, right? The design except for the bottom couldn't be easier ;)

Maya Kuzman said...

Oh.. the fines are incredible here, so shops are careful not to give free plastic bags. My grandma had a dark green one similar to this one and she had it for eons! We always joked it would outlive us all, lol. I sure hope this bag has a long lifetime too ;)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you, Julie! It is very plain but I love it, and just as Alhana said, it reminds me of days (years) past. I always carry my fabric bags, and if I get a paper bag for my groceries (usually happens with the fruit) I use that bag to make paper, so it isn't wasted.

Unknown said...

Hi , I hate plastic bags also. They shouldn’t use them at all. I worry about the animals that can get caught on them. :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Hello unknown! It is devastating what plastic is doing to our environment, especially the animal kingdom.