Monday, August 26, 2024

Crochet Granny Stripe Bandana - free pattern + video

I am glad I managed to get a good use for this wonderful, variegated cotton yarn, as it is discontinued. It was the perfect fit for the granny stripe bandana.
I published the video for it last week, but as I am having new yarn delivery for the shop, I am up to my elbows sorting everything out, meaning I am late posting about it here.   
The bandana is an adult size, so please note that you will need less rows if you want to make it for a child.
 
Supplies
Yarn and hook: DK yarn and a 4.00 mm hook.
Crochet US terms: hook (hk), chain (ch), stitch (st), chain space (ch-sp), slip stitch (sl st), double crochet (dc), (3dc into ch-sp = granny stripe)
 
For the bandana I am using the granny stripe stitch. As the granny stripe loves changing colors in every new row, I suggest you either use self-striping or variegated yarn, because you'll be free from working the tails of every new color addition if you decide to make it in solid / or a palette of colors. 


Pattern:
 
Foundation /row 1:  make a slip knot, ch4 (counts as 1dc+ a working st), dc2 in 1st st (or the last from hk). Ch3 and turn work. (1 granny stripe made)
Row 2: Dc2 in 1st st, ch1, dc3 in last st. Ch3 and turn work.  (2 granny stripes made)
Row 3: Dc2 in 1st st, ch1, dc3 in ch-sp, ch1, ch3 in the last st. Ch3 and turn work.  (3 granny stripes made)
Row 4-19: repeat row 3.  
Here, as the granny stripes and ch-spaces increase with each row, always make 3 dcs in the first and last stitch, and also 3dcs in the ch-sps.  
When done with row 19, do not cut yarn as we are going to make the ties. 
Row 19 continuation / Ties added: as you finish making the 19th row, ch70 and starting from the 2nd st, sl st all the way across both the tie and the body of the bandana. Sl st in every stitch including the ch-spaces. When you come to the other end, ch70, and starting from the 2nd st, sl st all the way across to the beginning of the body of the bandana. Cut yarn and work the tails. 
 
 
If you have any questions, please drop them in the comments.
Have fun!
 

8 comments:

Slabs said...

Hi Maya, so creative and beautiful. I need to show this to my daughter so she can make it for her girl.
Found your post on Craftastic Monday Link Party. My entries this week are numbered #81+82
Hope you will join/share M-Sat at https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I like the cute bandana you made for your daughter. She looks great! Thanks for sharing the pattern to make one.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you, Esme! I hope she likes it as well!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Julie!

Joanne said...

That is really pretty!

Tarahlynn said...

Thank you for sharing with us - I'm featuring you this week when the next To Grandmas house we go link party starts!

Maya Kuzman said...

Much obliged, Tarah! Thank you!💝

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you, Joanne!