Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Barley,Pumpkin & Avocado Salad


 
 
From  time to time I want to escape the crochet and craft oriented content of my blog and write about something that would freshen me up and give more value to the blog and in line with this,  I want to share a mouth watering and body reviving recipe written by a compatriot of mine who runs the food blog called Sitno Seckano which would mean Finely Chopped in English. Boyana, who is the master of all those senses tickling recipes, writes her posts bilingually so you can enjoy them too without needing a translator.

 
 
 
This is what Boyana says:
 
" I must admit that we rarely eat salads like this, with whole grains, although I know they are tasty and healthy. This colorful salad has a few interesting ingredients that make it really unforgetable, but it is also easily adapted to your taste and the things you have in your pantry. You can substitute millet or bulgur or cous-cous for the barley, use beets or carrots instead of squash. Put almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds if you don’t have pistachios… or add broccoli and lettuce.

The recipe:
1 cup barley
½ medium pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut in bite-sized cubes
1 avocado, peeled and cubed
a handfull of raw pistachios
seeds from ½ pomegranate

lemon dressing:
1 – 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
olive oil
¼ moroccan preserved lemon, roughly chopped (or juice from ½ lemon + salt)
a lot of fresh parsley

Place the pumpkin in a pan in one layer, drizzle with a little olive oil and sea salt and bake in a preheated oven at 200°C about 20 minutes, or until soft.
Put the barley in a pot with water and cook about 20 minutes, or until the barley is tender. Drain and transfer to a salad bowl.
Put all the dressing ingredients in a food processor to make the dressing. Pour the dressing over the barley and mix well. Add the pumpkin, avocado, pistachios and pomegranate seeds and serve.

 
 

This recipe on her blog is here and there is a print option so you can print it directly from her blog.

Thank you Boyana for joining us today and sharing this heavenly salad with us!

Let me know what you think in the comments!


8 comments:

myrica said...

MMm its seems so god.
I like and love the pikturs of jacket and cotes in last cross, I do now if the cross is the name, I hope you understand.
Have a nice day

Maya Kuzman said...

I have yet to try it, but I've made some of Boyana's recipes and they were all amazing. I bet this salad is going to be a feast for the palate.Thank you for dropping by Myrica!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Wow Maya this salad looks so good and I'd love to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing it at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Enjoy the week.
Julie xo

Maya Kuzman said...

Isn't it Julie?
Thank you!

Alhana said...

I am used to avocado and pomegranate in my salads but this is the first time I hear of adding pumpkin! Sounds delicious, thank you for sharing. :-)

Maya Kuzman said...

Me too. I have never had pumpkin in a salad too, but gather it must be fantastic!

Unknown said...

This sounds so fresh and delicious! :)

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

JES said...

Good morning! Just a little note to let you know that this post has been *FEATURED* today on the Art of Home-Making Mondays (at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth) on our special pumpkin edition. Thank you for sharing with us! :)