Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Restoring a Vintage Crochet Blanket

I took upon myself to salvage a vintage crochet blanket for a client. The blanket was bought at a thrift shop and those can harbor many hidden gems. The creator of this one was a genius in combining crochet and knitted samples and creating a unique blanket. 
The client has lots of cats and the kitties have managed to ruin it, playing on it. Someone tried to save it previously, but it kept tearing and wearing away.
 
At first I thought I could restore the squares by crocheting them in place, but the first obstacle was that I neither had the right yarn, nor the approximately close color of yarn, so I mainly used embroidery thread to close the holes, and then worked with black yarn to secure the whole bordering part of it. 
I am sad that in all the hubbub I forgot to take photos of it after I was finished. But what's most important is that it is saved and can be loved for many more years.



8 comments:

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Maya, what a unique looking blanket. That is so awesome that you were able to repair the blanket for your client. That must of been a lot of work but you made the client happy.

Alhana said...

Great job! It looks as good as new. I had no idea you could repair a yarn blanket with embroidery thread. :)

Joanne said...

That is wonderful that you were able to repair the blanket!

Maya Kuzman said...

At one point, I was at the end of my wits as it didn't turn out as I imagined, but ended well for both sides. 😊

Maya Kuzman said...

Well I used the thread to sew the holes in such a manner that it doesn't show on the blanket.😊

Maya Kuzman said...

Truly it is! 😊

French Ethereal said...

It sounds like a lot of people poured their love into this quilt. We have two of my mother-in-law's crocheted quilts from the 1970's. They are heavy beasts and one is perfect as an impromptu dog blanket, on occasion. It is also needing some repair as our past Golden Skeeter used to lie on it as he got older (before we bought him a really comfy dog bed). Yoda used it when he went through all of his blankets and I had nothing left until wash was done.

I'm so glad you were able to give this blanket more life! I know your friend appreciates your talented work. <3

Happy belated 4th to you,
Barb :)

p.s. Shared your post at this evening's Share Your Style #394 for you. <3 :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

It's beautiful. I'm sure you did an excellent job of repairing it.