Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Saving a Family Heirloom - Crochet Valance




A couple of weeks ago, a dear customer came with a request for salvaging a crochet valance. I never take up custom orders, but the story was too sweet to turn it down, and it had a sentimental effect on me where I immediately thought of my grandma, and how I finished things she'd started but left off unfinished. 

So this lady's cousin had a valance that was a couple of rows shy of being finished, but her mother died never finishing it.  She already had one made, but this was a twin curtain, so she wanted it finished as to hang it next to the first one. As my customer is a beginner, she didn't feel she will be able to finish her aunt's work, so she brought it to the shop. As it required only one row of mash and three rows of the border, I agreed to finish it. 

It took me a while to get used to the minimalistic hook, which was 0.5 mm by the way, as prior to that I was working with a 5mm hook (pictured together), so it had an enormous strain on my eyes. But the job was done, both ladies were thrilled and happy!

The valance was truly beautiful, but whatever I tried I couldn't snap a good photo as I didn't have the right window to hang it on, and show it in all its beauty.

No comments: