Wednesday, August 1, 2018

DIY: Mini Succulent Clay Bowls




In our garden we have pots and pots of sempervivum succulents literally pouring down from said pots and I got an idea to make them little houses out of clay.

For this project I used ordinary clay and tempera colors, although I believe they would be much more attractive with acrylic ones. I also used transparent varnish to give them shine.

Here's how it goes:
Take a piece of clay and sculpt a mini bowl which would be 5  or 6 cm in diameter. Put the clay ball into your palm and pushing with your thumb knuckle - make it a nest, i.e. a bowl.




 
Work with fingers to make it deeper.


Leave to dry. Although the weather is scorching hot in my corner of the world, I left them to dry for a day. Color them. Doddle or draft a pattern. Apply varnish.



Add soil and stick the succulents in.

 
They make such a lovely splash of joy.




13 comments:

Amy said...

Your little clay bowls are so cute and the succulents look so good in them. I love how colorful they are. Thank you for sharing at To Grandma's House We Go.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you!

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Cute indeed! A splash of colour in the house as well as some greenery! Love this idea!

Alhana said...

So envious of your succulents right now! Didn't know you could make your own mini-pots without an oven. On my way to purchase some clay. ;-)
Thank you very much for this tutorial, you made my day!

Maya Kuzman said...

Awww.. I am so glad you like them Alhana! Have fun!

Victoria Hannley said...

Super cute! Great crafty idea for kids. Visiting from Home Matters party.

Anonymous said...

Great idea!!! Those pots look like luxurious design!
I have sempervivum at my backdoor too, such a perfect strong plant.
Warm or cold, they always grow. And their babies look happy in their colorful beds :-)

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

Too cute and super adorable for the succulents!

My thrift store addiction said...

These are so sweet! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

A Crafty Mix said...

They are real pretty Maya. Love the boho vibe you created with the colors you choose and the squiggles and patterns you drew on the bowls too

Karren Haller said...

Oh my gosh Maya these are so cute, I have the clay, great project for the weekend!!! Thank you for sharing on Friday Features on Oh my Heartsie Girl last week!! This week I am featuring and have pinned your post to share!!
Be sure to stop by and share again and dont forget to share the party!!!

Have a wonderful week!
Karren

Maya Kuzman said...

I am ever so grateful Karren! Thank you so much!

Amy said...

Congratulations on the feature at Friday Feature.