Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Type of Crochet: Irish Crochet




I have tried and used many types of crochet. For the purpose of journaling these tries and uses I am going to start a series of posts on the types of crochet. As being immensely attracted to the Irish crochet as a way of lace making I am starting the series with it.
 
Irish crochet lace was developed in Ireland in the mid-1800s during the potato famine as a way to support families. Crocheting was a simpler way to make lace and the techniques were easy to learn.



Irish Crochet Lace is made with a very fine steel crochet hook and fine crochet cotton or linen thread. It begins with an outline of the pattern on a piece of cloth. Each motif is  crocheted separately, using cotton cord for volume and shaping. The finished motifs are then basted onto a cloth in the shape of the pattern. The motifs are then joined with a mesh of chains and sometimes picots. When all the motifs have been joined together to form one piece of lace, the basting stitch is removed from the back cloth, revealing the completed lace.


Lately I have been focusing more on Irish crochet lace, working on some flowers and leaves designs. Designing them is fun and a great way for me to wind off.
 
 
 
Irish flowers and leaves being the facets of this type of crochet, it goes without question that I have already shared a free pattern for a lovely flower.
 

9 comments:

Alhana said...

Very interesting! I didn't know Irish crochet used a back cloth, but thought it was similar to Spanish style (thin steel hook and cotton thread). Thanks for sharing, I am looking forward to reading more posts on this series. :-)

Maya Kuzman said...

Similar to the Venetian method of making point lace. I would love to explore the Spanish style though!

Anonymous said...

Good idea, I find this very interesting to learn about!
And I like your design, it would be great to decorate a pair of jeans with...

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Beautiful. Just read about irish crochet on another blog. The use of mesh to bind motifs together is really lovely.

Kim said...

I just look at your lovely crochet, Maya, and always shake my head and say to myself "how does she do it". ♥

Maya Kuzman said...

Or a jacket. I want to find a cropped denim jacket and put some crochet on it. These would be intresting to try with.

Maya Kuzman said...

Looks easy Tammy but I am sure it is demanding and very tiring. I am designing a blouse and let me tell you it is not an easy job :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Haha.. Thank you Kim! I laughed because that is the exact thing I think to myself seeing the magic you work on your preeties.

Sheri said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing at To Grandma's House We Go DIY, Crafts, Recipes and More Wednesday Link Party! Pinned it to Pinterest! Hope to have you join the party next week!