Monday, February 20, 2017

Inspiration Monday: Heather Potten - a Felt maker


 
 

Heather Potten is a Scottish felt maker that creates fascinating seamless felt pieces that are masterful architectural works of art.  

She says: "I am fascinated by seamless felt. Unlike other mediums, it is possible to create 3-dimensional structures with no sewing, sticking, binding or welding. It can be done purely through the process of laying out fibres, wetting, soaping, rolling, heating and fulling. However, templates must be meticulously designed in advance and shrinkage calculated before the process can begin."




Having been acquainted with felt nine years ago, through lots of practice and experimentation she has managed to bring felt to a completely new level.

"My work now has a depth that has taken years of training and experimentation to achieve. I aim to create pieces that challenge the way people perceive felt - it has strength, it has beauty, it is tactile and it can be moulded. Without a hint of cliché, it is unique."

Click here to read more about her work and her famous workshops.



 

5 comments:

Mary K. said...

You know this was an eye opening post. I had never thought of felt as anything more than just another fabric. Clearly I was very wrong. Thanks Maya for letting me get to know this very talented lady.

handmade by amalia said...

Stunning work. What an eye for color.
Amalia
xo

Maya Kuzman said...

It was a real pleasure Mary. I have always, always wanted to learn how to felt and mix it with my crochet pieces, but for now I get satisfaction by following some incredible felters and swooning over their work.

Maya Kuzman said...

I agree Amalia :)

Heather Potten said...

Just found this....thanks for the blogpost. Glad you like my work.