Wednesday, August 30, 2017

DIY School Gift Cone (Schultüte)

 
 
 
I have always admired the German tradition of giving children a Schultüte as a gift on their first day of school.
 
As it happens, my niece is starting school, and instead bringing her a boxed present where I also include school supplies, this time I decided to make a paper cone and add up a little bit to the overall excitement.
 
For the paper cone (and its content), I used the following:
 
 
 
 
1. A cardboard (50 x 60 cm)
2. Gift wrapping paper.
3. Crepe paper
4. Glue (white Elmer's) and sellotape
 
Minnie being her favourite we didn't overdo it, but added some highlighting this character and things we thought would be useful because one cannot have enough of school supplies, right? Right! We also added some adorable mini picture books (my kids have like a ton of these we collected during the years) and there is one with a paper cone and a story for the first day of school.
 
 
 
I glued both sides of the cardboard paper and holding the bottom I rolled the upper part to the point where it met the other side, then stapled the upper part and sellotaped it  centerwise.
 
 
 
Applied glue 4 cm / 1.6' on the inner upper part and glued the crepe. After it dried, we added everything inside. I glued shredded paper on the brim of it (to hide the staple) and for effect of course.
 
 
 
Tied the upper part of the crepe with a silk ribbon and that was it. The cone may look small but in fact it is 90 cm (almost 3 feet) top to bottom. It will be almost as big as her. Cannot wait to see her expression when she gets it!
 
 
 

 


10 comments:

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Guess you know by now I was born and raised in Belgium, moved to Germany when I was 20. Till my eldest started school (in Germany) I hadn't known about the "Schultüte" either. Still do not know wheter I like this tradition or not. I think the children are overwhelmed as it is, they do not need that horrible cone full with sweets and distractions, causing tears and envy. Nope. Just found out I do NOT like this tradition.
My eldest's "Schultüte" was decorated with formula-1-cars and that of my youngest with Yoshis (from Mario World). I cannot remember what I put inside, but as my parents did not know about this tradition and there were no grandparents from the other side, not too many sweets for sure!

Maya Kuzman said...

Interesting to hear what others think of the tradition :)
Maybe because we don't have it here, the idea of the paper gift cone is so attractive to us. We are going to give it to her in the evening, after the day is over, so there would be no other envious children and since my sister has strict rules about sweets, we didn't include any.

Kim said...

What a fun tradition. I would hop to school with great excitement if I was to receive one of these fun cones filled with treats. Your niece is going to love hers. I totally agree with you Maya, a child can never have too many school supplies at the beginning of the school year. I always adored going school shopping when I was little; the coloured pencils, the fun rubbers, scissors, sharpeners etc etc; it was always a highlight.

Alhana said...

I didn't know of this tradition but it sounds so fun for both (grand)parents and children, preparing the cone and receiving it. Oh now I wish I had gotten one when I started schoold back then. :-)
Your niece is going to be delighted at hers for sure!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to learn about this tradition! I think it's very sweet of you to make one for your little niece :-) And it looks really beautiful too, she's going to be glad, that's for sure!

Maya Kuzman said...

Yes, it is. Me too. I still cannot resist buying stationery even now.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Alhana!I know she will be :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Sigrid!

A Crafty Mix said...

I almost forgotten about schultute until I read about the lovely one you made for your niece. My Mom is German and I remember her making us one when we were still very little. I think it was for our first day at creche more than 40 years ago. Thanks for bringing back such lovely memories Maya

Christina(ArtDecorationCrafting) said...

How sweet is this tradition! Of course anyone can make this as a gift for his children for the first day at school!

xoxo

www.artdecorationcrafting.gr