Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Bohemian Pom Poms DIY




Welcome to my newest project!
I have had this idea of making bohemian pom poms running through my mind over and over again until I decided to give it a try.

These babies turned out fantastically and I am absolutely delighted with them. I don't think I would ever make an ordinary pompom after seeing how beautiful these turned out.


Do you like them? Here's how I made them.

Supplies
 
 
 
Gather your supplies. For these boho candies I recommend you use materials with different textures. Combine chunky yarn with thin mohair or sport yarn. Add ribbons both sateen and crocheted. I included elastic lace, some velvet, jersey strips... everything I could think of that would make it even more textured and rich. And of course - we shouldn't forget the pompom maker.
 
For the pompom in this tutorial I used 3 different sizes of yarn (in orange, beige and burgundy), an elastic lace ribbon, sateen ribbon and crocheted (lace) ribbon.




You can make a note which material is going to go first, second, etc. or work on a whim. I promise the effect will be equally attractive - you simply cannot go wrong.

1. I like starting with chunky yarn (although the one in the picture changes into a thread and gets  chunky again after a few wraps). Wrap the yarn a couple of times. Cut it off at the upper side.
2. Add new yarn, preferably thinner (or thicker) than the first one. Cut it off as before. The number of wraps depends on you.
3. Add a sateen ribbon (all through the maker or just in a single spot). Cut it off.
4. Add elastic lace  ribbon - repeat as in 3 above.
5. Wrap yarn (whichever you like) to cover the lace and ribbon nicely and
6. Wrap the crochet ribbon.

 
 

7. Cover it with a chunky yarn to finish it off.
8. Work the other side too.
9 -10 Cut it open (both sides)
11. Tie a strong knot. I usually use a long thread and wrap / tie around it a couple of times so that the yarns / other materials do not budge.
12. When it is done, trim it. And that is it!

I am going to use these for my next project but I am keeping that as a surprise.






The downloadable copy for this technique can be bought here.

17 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

They are colorful and fun!

Maya Kuzman said...

Indeed they are!

Alhana said...

I loved making pom-poms as a child and now that I saw your fabulous tutorial all I need is an excuse to make them again. Can't wait to see what are you using these for. :-)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Alhana! We make them very frequently around here, but these will take the primate from now on.

Nikki said...

I love these! They are similar to the pom poms on my bedroom curtains, so I think I need to make some to put on the bed throw & pillows. Thanks for the idea.
:) gwingal

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you for dropping by Nikki!

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Ah well, maybe I should give pompoms another try. I've not been very lucky with them so far but your tutorial is very inspiring. I'll start with plain yarn though...
Hugs,
Marjan

Anonymous said...

Again such a great idea!!!! A long time ago, I made some pompoms with T-shirt-yarn but this mix of materials is so beautiful!!! Suddenly, I have like a thousand ideas in my head to make with these pompoms! Thank you for the inspiration!
Have a great day, Sigrid

myrica said...

I love these, they are so nice and retro.
Have a nice day

Divya N said...

These look like they are jolly good fun to make and use. I think I ought to get myself a pompom maker

Maya Kuzman said...

Hope it does Marjan!

Maya Kuzman said...

Aaahhh. I love fabric popoms Sigrid. Eons ago I made a jersey pom pom / carnation. It is so successful it still brings me tons of traffic.

Kim said...

Your pom poms are such fun, Maya. Love them. I love that you added a little ribbon and lace....'tis always a good thing. =) I am going to have to fashion some of these pretties. Thank you so much for inspiring me.

Mia said...

Beautiful pom poms!!! Thank you for the instructions, Maya. They are really very helpful. Kisses, my friend.

handmade by amalia said...

And I have a set of pompom makers sitting idly by, doing nothing... :-)
Amalia
xo

A Crafty Mix said...

I love the different textures you've got going there Maya. They look so free spirited. Beautiful, can't wait to see what you'll be making with them

Christina(ArtDecorationCrafting) said...

I love pom-poms and I love all these colors together... thank you my sweet friend for the tutorial :) Kisses!

www.artdecorationcrafting.gr