Tuesday, October 9, 2018

How to Read Crochet Charts: Flower Border

 
 
 
 

It occurred to me that we have never had a border chart reading here on the blog so I found one I could use for a scarf which was a favourite of mine years ago, and to save it from its premature retirement I gave it a facelift, or a face down to be precise because it got a flowered border.
 
The chart speaks a wonderful symbol language and it says that you:
 
Chain 28 and (row 1) dc 1 in the 4th st and then in all the other st across.
Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as the 1st dc of a puff st) and in the 1st st make a 2dc puff, ch 2, sk 2 and in the next st make a (3dc) puff. Repeat this pattern to the end (3dc puff, ch 2, sk 2).
 
Row 3: ch1 turn work and sc1 in the 1st st, ch 2 and sc over the puff, ch3 and make a picot over that sc, next ch 2 and over the next puff make a sc without a picot. Repeat the pattern to the end of the row.
 
Row 4: ch 15 (5 for the chain and 10 for the flower), sl st in the 10th st to make a ring, turn work, and in the ring sc1, make 3dc puff, ch3 and sc1 again. Repeat this pattern to make 5 petals. When the 5th petal is done, ch5 and sl st in the second non-picoted sc stitch. Repeat making the flowers to the end of the row.  
 
So, what do you say? Do you like it? I certainly do love how it looks on my scarf. I crocheted it first and than sewed it onto the scarf. Now I am ready to wear it again.
 
 

 
 


3 comments:

Alhana said...

What a beauty! This edging will look good on any project. Did you crochet it directly on the fabric or created the crochet band first and sewed it onto the scarf?

Maya Kuzman said...

I think I mentioned that in the post. I crocheted it first, then sewed it on the scarf as a ribbon :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Pretty.