Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Crochet Button Necklace Tutorial


 
I had this idea of making a doily like button stuck in my head for a while and really itched to try it. Now, when I've done it - I am thinking of many variations to try and I truly feel this is not going to be the last time we see this button :)
 
Ideally is to use a DK (any chunky) yarn and adequate hook. The sample button was made with a DK yarn and 3 mm hook.
 
The pattern:
Chain 8 and join to make a ring.
Round 1: Sc 10 in ring
Rounds 2-3: repeat round 1
Round 4: sc in all st around.
Round 5: Ch 2, sc in next st. Repeat to the end of round. Sl st to end.
 
 
Tip: By changing the number of chains of the foundation, and by adding rounds, you can get a great variety of these crochet buttons.
 
 
 
These can be used to make a unique necklace, a wonderful applique or decorations.
 
I played with them here, arranging them to make a necklace.
 
 
 
 
I decided on this design. I attached the buttons with jump rings and added ties. So the necklace looks like this onto my plain tee and blouse:
 
 
 
Hope you give these a try!
 

9 comments:

Alhana said...

Maya, how do you think these doily buttons will look on your tube necklaces? I should try them and see whether I prefer flowers or doilies. :-)
Thanks for the fun!

Maya Kuzman said...

You know, I haven't tought of that Alhana.... Sounds interesting, but there have to be 2 or 3 necklaces together so that these stay put; otherwise they would just floppily hang.

Divya N said...

When I see these buttonhole doilies, I think of bracelets where the doilies could be layered on one another. They could become brooches as well. or simply used as appliques to create textures on a garment. Thank you for sharing this idea.

Kim said...

How perfect are your buttonhole doilies all sitting together to form a sweet necklace. I love the variations of colours. You and your imagination have done it again, Maya. As always, just fabulous!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much kim! I am still under the impression of an immensely simple project with such a lovvely outcome!

Maya Kuzman said...

There are so many ideas these could be used Divya, I am in for a try :)

Mia said...

What a stunning necklace!!!!!!!!!!!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Mia!

handmade by amalia said...

Oh, this is sweet, Maya, and all my favorite shades of pink. \Amalia
xo