Thursday, September 30, 2010

Phellodendron necklace



Exploring further the gifts of nature and in regard to my organic jewelery series, for this project I ventured into the magnificent family of Phellodendron or more commonly known as the cork tree.

For this necklace I sliced the cork and used different embroidery thread to embellish the surface.
Don't they look like small crocheted granny circles?

Although its construction was quite exhaustive, time consuming and painful (my fingers still ache), it was really worth making.
Along with my Melon necklaces this is the second, most favourite piece.

I can even wear it as a bracelet.

Credits:
I would like to thank Mr. Thimble who proved quite a helpful assistant in my persistent efforts to conquer the cork and make it succumb to the will of my embroidery needle.

I would also like to thank Mrs. Needle who acted strangely sometimes and faltered on the way through, but was strong enough not to break during the process.


You don't think I could've stopped myself making just this one?!
Until tomorrow....

12 comments:

Alex said...

Such an awesome blog! :-) I love it -- great post!

Alex

Psst: Come check out my charity blog:
http://www.idealcharity.blogspot.com/
Please become a follower! ;-)

Papgena Made It said...

It looks amazing, but I'm sure that was hard work! Love how you combine the colors! It reminds me of the bubble game!

Ophelia.K said...

Very pretty, and it's smart to use cork. Great for party!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Love the use of colour. I did not realize the discs were cork until you said so. It is a gorgeous colour combination and one-of-a-kind.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you all!

ByNightCreations said...

How the hell did I miss this post? This is awesome! What a lovely idea! It's so nice and colourful!
You did an amazing job on the cuffs too. I like them a looot

daffy said...

wow! very beautiful work

Cucicucicoo said...

fabulous! love it! :) lisa

Sachiko said...

How unique and pretty! I love how you combined the few colors together!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you all on the sweet comments!

Katie | FashionFrugality.com said...

Gorgeous!!

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

Maya, 5 years later and I am STILL absolutely in love with this necklace but, alas, it's still on my to-do list!! I've included this post in a roundup of upcycled Mother's Day gift ideas on my website today. Thanks for sharing it! :) Lisa