Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Ichthus necklace


I love when my creations show an inner meaning in themselves, having a vibrating and weaved feeling into the threads.

While creating this one I dwelt on the symbolism of the fish, a very powerful, meaningful symbol remarkably transcending through ages, leaving strong imprints and influence in various cultures, religions and traditions.



The Ichthus (fish) is a remarkable symbol. Some of the prime meanings it conveys is fertility, abundance, eternity, creativity, inspiration, femininity, unity, fidelity, good luck, happiness, freedom, knowledge, wisdom, faith, transformation, prophesy and flow of life. 


 The pendant is quite a unique detail crocheted in ecru which enriches its appearance even more.

9 comments:

harmony and rosie said...

I love your work, it's so imaginative and thoughtful. Not to mention intricate!
So pleased the party went well!!
Kate x

Andi said...

It's really beautiful! Makes me wish I could crochet. It looks so intricate and detailed. Absolutely stunning!

magdamagda said...

so delicate! I love your contemporary crochet pieces! Your pictures and descriptions really make them so desirable!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Just an exquisite creation, I love the references.
PS I hope the celebrations went well.

Papgena Made It said...

Glad to see you 'survive' the big celebrations!! ;)
What a lovely creation you show us!

Divya said...

A wonderful inspiration and reference - a fish is the symbol of prosperity, fertility and denotes the start of life in many cultures

Unknown said...

I love it when there's more to art than just art! You have certainly given this beautiful project lots of thought, that's what I like so much about it Maya!

Unknown said...

Oh I love this piece, especially for its resemblance to the fish. I am a Pieces so this symbol is close to my heart. Such beautiful work Maya!

Unknown said...

These comments are old but I hope someone sees this. I am desperately trying to find an icthus pattern to crochet or knit to use to make an afghan or scarf or shawl. Can ANYONE out there help me? Thank you and God Bless.
Bernadette Ryan Lonergan
brlonergan@gmail.com