Friday, July 7, 2017

Crocheted Flip - Flops - Yea or Nay?





So I spotted these gorgeous  red crocheted espadrilles a while ago- I mean how could I miss them? They are a head turner. The only thing that left me with a question is that they were crocheted on flip flop soles.

Jess of Make & Do Crew has some fantastic and free tutorials of various slippers using flip flop soles and I am sure she knows well what she is talking about - the question here being whether they will let go. She has a full pack answered on FAQ about these slippers, buuuut... as a long time flip-flop wearer I am a little skeptic of the durability. Had too many flip - flop snaps in my lifetime and although I was tempted to start working on a pair, the thought of their durability has seriously put me off. Even the hardest rubber soles had eventually loosen up at the place where the straps go and with these, there are just too many holes made....
 
Have you tried working on flip flops? Your suggestions?
 
 

 
 
If you are willing to give these a try here are Jess' tutorials and some other I have pinned.
 
 
 

 
 

9 comments:

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

During summer (actually as soon as it's warm enough) I'm into flip-flops and I've got at least 5 pair of them (some rather plain some a little more extravagant). Cannot do without flip-flops! Even took them to Scotland...
Esparilles were "in" when I was a child/juvenile but even then I could see the traces they left on the carpets when they got a little worn... Has been ages since I last wore them...

Maya Kuzman said...

Me too. They are obligatory footwear in summer. I am constatntly wearing them in the house and the beach, and sandals or flats when I go out.

Anonymous said...

I had the same thoughts, Maya! I really like the way crocheted flip flops look, but I'm also afraid about the durability. On the other hand, if they won't last very long, you did have some really unique shoes for one summer... :-) Up to you! I decided to skip this idea, but you collected some very pretty inspiration and now I'm in doubt again ;-) We'll see!
Have a great weekend, Sigrid

Maya Kuzman said...

You are right Sigrid. But with all the work I am involved lately I am not into investing a lot of effort for something that would last for a short time. I think I'll pass :)

Divya N said...

They all look pretty and I have seen people wear them inside the house. But you can't really wear them in the streets for they'll get dirt in five minutes flat. That is not appealing to me. What if you crochet wit ha plastic or nylon yarn so that the shoes can be washed/cleaned easily

The Charm of Home said...

I love the ivory ones in the last shot. They look like all of the lace espadrilles I have been seeing. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

Maya Kuzman said...

Plarn was it called? Plastic yarn? I don't think I am going to use such yarn ever :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Yes, the beige ones are quite catchy. Thank you for having me Sherry!

Mary K. said...

Yay for sure Maya. They are soft and comfortable. And they look super stylish in my opinion, like espadrilles. Some of us don't feel comfortable in tiny sandals that threaten to fall off of our feet.