Thursday, July 30, 2020

Expressing Myself Through Crafts


 


LoveCrafts had a challenge for indie designers, asking how they express themselves through crafts.

I was raised in a household where traditions were deeply rooted and respected, hence handiwork was always highly appreciated, praised and practiced. The women in my family were all dedicated to creating things for the family, whether out of pure necessity or just for the mere pleasure of decoration: knitted sweaters, hats and shawls, crocheted tablecloths doilies and runners, sewn clothes. I was always entwined in this natural process of creation and encouraged to practice and develop my skills. 

Hence, expressing through crafts has been omnipresent and came naturally when I grew older, trying to preserve all those childhood memories of indulging into all sorts of crafts, which eventually paved the way to create a handmade, inspirational life for me and my family.   By treasuring crafts, I not only reinforce the bond I shared with my predecessors, successfully keeping it from the tooth of time, but at the same time, make a warm and cozy nest for my family, employing my skills.

In time, crochet has become a steady and strong constant that magically turned into a small business. I love creating jewelry, accessories and little pieces of clothing, as well as home decor. I am happy to be able to share my skills with the people who enjoy crochet as much as I do, and that love to make things that I design. 

I am forever grateful for that.




 



14 comments:

Moois van mie said...

For me, it is kind of the same story: my parents were very creative: my mother knitted, crocheted, spon some wool, made our clothes, cooked, drawed, weaved, followed a ceramic class ... and my dad was very occupied with cooking and photographing, music and reading. And now I like all of that too!

Maya Kuzman said...

Oh, my Gosh! Isn't that the most rewarding, inspirational and imagination-boosting environment to raise a child? I hope my kids appreciate these values later in life..

Divya said...

Yes, it is very important to have a childhood that is immersed in crafts. My mom painted and she taught me drawing and simple craft work. She also introduced me to art and took me to museums. I think that it very important and it later paved way for jewellery making, photography, painting and textile crafts.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

So wonderful that you were given the gift of handiwork. I love all the colors you put together with everything you create and the recent pictures you captured with your lovely model are absolutely gorgeous.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I enjoyed reading about how you were raised with creative and talented family. You made such beautiful crochet tops and flowers and many other projects.

Maya Kuzman said...

That is wonderful Divya! Your sound background can be noticed in your posts, thus making them not only engaging,but also entertaining and interesting.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much Tammy! This gives me warm fuzzies! Would you believe that I squeal in delight when I come up with a color combination that instantly latches to my heart? :)
I too,am immensely satisfied with the photos we took!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Julie! I am working hard on designing more clothes in the upcoming months, something that would reflect my style :)

the 4 M's said...

I have never been very creative but I was always a good teacher and can handle a group of kids. So when I see anyone who is creative, I am in awe. These are such beautiful pieces. I am going to have to spend a little time exploring your blog!
www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

Maya Kuzman said...

That is so sweet and kind of you! Thank you so much for visiting and the lovely comment!

Pam said...

I enjoyed this! How wonderful that the women in your family were dedicated to creating. You have taken crochet to a whole new level, and your beautiful designs are so inspiring.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much Pam! I feel blessed to had been surrounded by loving women who passionately transferred their knowledge and I am sure they would be proud seeing me today ;)

Anonymous said...

I can relate to this, Maya! I came to crocheting and quilting the same way. Thank you for sharing with Creative Compulsions!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Maya Kuzman said...

We are a big and happy tribe, Michelle! So glad we can connect throughout the world :)